• Yes, Ivoss… sounds like Lenny is who you think he is..... I think the motivation for wanting him so badly is that he is the only brindle still left intact. Not sure. The other one i believe is fixed, and I don't think he is in a show home. The male that is a year younger than him is in a show home w/ a breeder that lives i think about 2 hours from me. this is who I believe the breeder wants to have handle him. It is just too far and too inconvenient.... so I am going to stay firm on the no showing/handling.

Thanks for everyones advice and encouragement. Things have been a bit frusterating for me all around and it makes me feel better that you guys are so understanding. Particularly since you guys are breeders - its really helpful to hear your perspective on it.

• @tanza:

I hate to say this.. but if this were my dog, I would go ahead and have him neutered… it is not like she doesn't have another male to maybe use.. and even if a carrier, it doesn't exclude him...

I would hate to advise anyone for not trying to come to a suitable agreement with their breeder.. but to me this is not reasonable.... if my dog I would have him neutered... period... and just tell the breeder this is what needs to be after this long....

I'm huge on keeping my word and honoring commitments, but I have to say I agree with Pat. Anything that has gone on with my breeder has been within an understood time frame that everyone agreed to - up front. From one pet person to another, the only thing I might do in addition, is pay to have him collected and have it done asap so he can be neutered. That way you don't need to wait for the Fanconi results to have him neutered and the whole thing can come to closure.

Just curious, was he placed with you as a foster until he is finished showing or do you actually own him?

• One of the two girls is a brindle so he isn't the only brindle from the litter kept intact. The inheritance of brindle is pretty much the same as black, it takes one to get one. As a breeder who loves blacks and doesn't want to lose the color, I have to agree with Pat's statement, if it is something you need for your breeding program then you don't let it go. When I bred my first litter out of Rally she had 3 reds and 1 black. The black was a boy and it was pretty obvious by the time Coal was 8 weeks old that Nicky was not keen on living with him. Though he is in a home where he is shown and is intact, I also decided that since I want black in breeding program that I would breed Rally again and hope she was more cooperative in providing what I wanted. She was, the second litter had 1 black girl, 1 black boy, and 1 red boy. So I kept the black girl so I still have the color that I want and the dog that fits in my household. Even if things hadn't worked out so that I got the black that I wanted there are others out there, it just would have meant looking for the right one for my breeding program.

• @Tayda_Lenny:

Sire and dam were tested. Sire was clear and dam was carrier… so he is either clear or carrier. i know of at least one male littermate but not sure if he was tested.

The dam was not tested…? Only the sire as clear?

So she could be affected, BUT still Lenny would be clear or carrier...

And I know Lenny's breeder also... I am very, very surprised that she is being this difficult... It is not like these are "rare" pedigrees... there are more then enough dogs/bitches around that carry these lines.

• I figured most of you would know Lenny's breeder, and I appreciate that you guys are being confidential on this. I didn't want to name sling, I just wanted advice from people who could relate to my situation… she has always been really helpful when i needed to go out of town by watching them so i really can't say anything bad about her. I'm trying to be cooperative but when it gets to the point that things might become a big hassle and theres no end in sight.. I get frusterated.

Lenny's dam was tested, and she was a carrier... i thought. Tanza, did you see something different?

i actually co-own him with her. The understanding was always that i'd keep him intact until he finished his championship and then could be neutered, but the timeframe that was suggested to me was ~1 year or so. and that was before moving out of michigan was on the table. She showed him before i left michigan and he hadn't gotten any points. So he still has a long way to go. She mentioned that some dogs aren't shown until they are 2 or 3... which makes me nervous cause i do not want to keep him intact that long, and now that we are not local to her anymore i don't want to give him up for months at a time, or have to deal with driving him back and forth on weekends.

anyway, so... waiting to hear back, again.

• @Tayda_Lenny:

I figured most of you would know Lenny's breeder, and I appreciate that you guys are being confidential on this. I didn't want to name sling, I just wanted advice from people who could relate to my situation… she has always been really helpful when i needed to go out of town by watching them so i really can't say anything bad about her. I'm trying to be cooperative but when it gets to the point that things might become a big hassle and theres no end in sight.. I get frusterated.

Lenny's dam was tested, and she was a carrier... i thought. Tanza, did you see something different?

i actually co-own him with her. The understanding was always that i'd keep him intact until he finished his championship and then could be neutered, but the timeframe that was suggested to me was ~1 year or so. and that was before moving out of michigan was on the table. She showed him before i left michigan and he hadn't gotten any points. So he still has a long way to go. She mentioned that some dogs aren't shown until they are 2 or 3... which makes me nervous cause i do not want to keep him intact that long, and now that we are not local to her anymore i don't want to give him up for months at a time, or have to deal with driving him back and forth on weekends.

anyway, so... waiting to hear back, again.

If the dam was tested, she is not on the OFA DNA data base… so I don't think she is. The dam was tested for lots of things (and that is a good thing that tests were done) but not Fanconi. In fact there is a statement on the breeders web page that is a bit off to me.. saying that "be sure at least one" parent is tested clear. I totally disagree with that.. while it is better then nothing, not appropriate IMO... but that is my opinion.

If you want to contact me privately, you can go to my website (www.tanzabasenjis.net) and email me.

• wow, i guess not. i could have sworn i saw it somewhere. i just rechecked the zande site and its not there either. well now i understand…

• Hopefully she will come around quickly and see that for you neutering him is best… and hopefully your housing situation will work out too!

• One of his siblings came back intedeterminate between carrier and clear so maybe that is why you thought his dam had been tested.

• If it's any consolation - I'm having a pretty crummy day today to not dog related but my mom's assisted living facility is a place that looks nice on the outside and is a catholic facility but they are more worried about the new carpet and the decor than taking care of residents.

Try moving a 92 year old mom!

• dmcarty thats frusterating… sorry to hear that. Im trying to keep things in perspective myself... i'm reading about all these deaths from the earthquakes in china and all the other horrible things happening in the world and in comparison, my issues are nothing....

Suggested Topics