• @chilingoober:

I have found that I really don't enjoy the ball throwing as much. The dobe wants to play 2-3 times a day. But we can't go for walks right now because of the weather, and a houseful down with the flu.
    Yes, I will call on a breeder that advertises, because I want to see the dogs. Then I will know more how I want to proceed and where, IF the breed seems right for me. I will go with the best breeder that I can find, if this is the right breed. I am taking my time. I have to think 10 years + down the line.
    Does anyone use a pack on their basenji?

Can you explain about "breeders that advertises"? I would think that you would want one that was a member of the National and/or regional breed club?

• @chilingoober:

Does anyone use a pack on their basenji?

I bought one for Tiggy, I use the Ruff Wear packs. I have just got him started into getting used to it. My boxer wears a pack to. He didn't even notice any different when I put it on him empty, and didn't care when I stuffed it with paper to widen it. So far he's only carried two (one each side) 12 ounce bottles of water. He's still young (7 months) so I don't want him carrying anything heavier. I haven't packed and hiked in while now so I have to condition my boxer back into it again. When he was conditioned he'd carry between 15 to 18 pounds. This was for our longer camping hikes, for shorter hikes it would be about 10 pounds.

A basenji in good healthy conditioning can carry 20-25% of their body weight on average about 5 to 6 pounds for a 25lbs dog. Young dogs and older should carry about 15% of their weight.

• Tanza, on breeders that advertise, and the club breeders:
    That would be nice. So far I have not found any listed within several hundred miles. Like I said, I will know when I see the dogs.

I think dogs come into our lives for a reason. The Dobe came and taught me how to be a leader, even through disabilites. He pulled me through a rough time in my life, as he was going through his. He will always be with me. The beagle taught us, well, the hound mind, and pulled my son through hard time. I love watching the beagle work through the scents and mentally "categorize" what he smells. He has taught me to take in life, that there is a place for everything. IF I get a basenji, or similar breed, I know it will be to teach me independence. To stand on my own 2 feet and be more sure of myself. Because I know that is a stage I have to enter in this time of my life.
    Please don't lecture me about how to pick a puppy. I understand about the backyard breeders… I have done my reading. I have raised numerous types of animals my whole life. They have all been my teachers. I will find the best breeder I can.

• WBL:

Do you have trouble with your boxer in the heat? I was advised on the boxer board to not even think about getting one, because they have heat exhaustion starting in the 80 degree temp range> because of their short snouts. We live in Texas. Usually not the high humidity, although the weather has been changing over the last several years to more humidity during the summer, usually its a dry heat. We do get hot. By August it is 100 deg. every day.

• @chilingoober:

WBL:

Do you have trouble with your boxer in the heat? I was advised on the boxer board to not even think about getting one, because they have heat exhaustion starting in the 80 degree temp range> because of their short snouts. We live in Texas. Usually not the high humidity, although the weather has been changing over the last several years to more humidity during the summer, usually its a dry heat. We do get hot. By August it is 100 deg. every day.

I've only lived in Maryland and Germany with Reggie, and in Germany it does get into triple digits during the summer. I have packed with him in the higher heats and as long as I kept him hydrated and cooled off with water he did great. The ruff wear packs also have a model that has built in water bladders that help in keeping pets cooler. They are the Palisades Pack™ II link In Maryland the heat doesn't get up to triple digits but it gets into the 90's with VERY high humidity.

Reggie never had a problem. I have always hiked/packed/trail walked in the woods though so it was cooler, and with the shade the ground was always cooler for rests.

I lived in San Antonio for about 18 months (8 yrs ago) and I had a pit mix that had no problems when we went out for walks and trailing and he was all black. I just made sure I kept enough water for both of us.

They also do make wonderful cooling items now too, they have neck ones and belly wraps.

I'm gonna PM you about boxers

• @chilingoober:

Tanza, on breeders that advertise, and the club breeders:
    That would be nice. So far I have not found any listed within several hundred miles. Like I said, I will know when I see the dogs.

I find it hard to believe with 3 affliate clubs in state if Texas that after contacting the club you can not find a single member that is somewhere near you.

The 3 clubs are listed at the BCOA website on this page, http://www.basenjiclub.com/?q=node/4

The Austin Basenji Club and the Basenji Club of Greater Houston both have email contacts listed. The Dallas-Ft Worth Basenji Club has a website at http://www.dfwbasenji.org/

@chilingoober:

Please don't lecture me about how to pick a puppy. I understand about the backyard breeders… I have done my reading. I have raised numerous types of animals my whole life. They have all been my teachers. I will find the best breeder I can.

Please understand that when we provide this information and do so repeatedly it is because it bears repeating. I am an active volunteer at my shelter and a member of Basenji Rescue and Transport and see far too often the results of BYBs and impulse purchases. If you are having trouble finding a responsible breeder, we are here to help you find one. Finding a local dog show is a good start to finding a responsible breeder since many show their dogs.

• The heat usually isn't a big problem with Brac dogs, its the air quality. The more humidity the harder it is for us to breathe never mind the dogs. It is also dependent on the individualy boxer. My last one would lay in the sun in 90-100 degree weather if the air quality was ok. I wouldn't trust this one in the same kind of weather because she has a much shorter snout.

@chilingoober:

WBL:

• @nomrbddgs:

The heat usually isn't a big problem with Brac dogs, its the air quality. The more humidity the harder it is for us to breathe never mind the dogs. It is also dependent on the individualy boxer. My last one would lay in the sun in 90-100 degree weather if the air quality was ok. I wouldn't trust this one in the same kind of weather because she has a much shorter snout.

I agree to that, Reggie would sun bath when the humidity was lower but still VERY hot, but when there was high humidity then he would come inside and just lay in sun spots by the window.

• @chilingoober
    If you do more research you will find the basenji is one of the most difficult breeds to train regarding being off leash. Site hounds no matter how well trained it simply isn't worth it. one of my basenjis was quite well trained but I never took that chance period instead I made a 25-ft leash and always had it on him. If it I went out to the yard which we had a very long driveway he had the leash on him but I wasn't holding it so he would follow me around the yard sniff around but at least he had that leash on him and was able to easier grab him if I needed to. Same on the trail .
    I would never want my basenji out of my sight not for one minute. Not any of my dogs. It simply is not worth it for them to come across a coyote or a fox or anything else that could harm them. Now our 130 lb great dane? That's a different story ...if he wants to walk off the leash on a trail that's fine.... And even him I don't want him out of our sight. For the safety of a basenji I would not let off leash. My Maltese, both of them stay right by my side like a little shadow. Never ever wander. But that's how they are.

• I have had Boxers for 20 years absolutely heat is a huge problem

Suggested Topics