I am a bit scared to buy a basenji

• @jys1011:

Excellent suggestion! I actually got TWO adults as my first basenjis šŸ˜ƒ and have been very happy with that decision. Many breeders sometimes have adult dogs that they are willing to place with a family.

I agree completelyā€¦an adult is a great option. I got an adult for my first basenji...a retired show dog (from the same breeder as JYS).

• I would like to thank you all for you advice. I know what a commitment it is to have a dog. IĀ“ll let you know what my decision was this Friday - thatĀ“s the day IĀ“m gonna se the breeder

• The reason why I prefer puppy to an adult dog is that you can do lots of work with your puppy and make sure that itĀ“s gonna grow up as well behaved dog.
    And I also think that the bond between the owner and puppy is much stronger. IĀ“m sure it takes lots of time and a lot of nerve to bring up well-behaved dog but at the end itĀ“s worth it.

• Adult dogs bond just as close with owners.
    It just depends on how you love them.
    I have never owned a basenji pup, but all my adult dogs are bonded.

• @sharronhurlbut:

There are some wonderful helpful book on raising basenji puppies.
    I can sugggest one if you wish.
    Good luck.
    I agree that pups need to be crated, but my 2 adults are loose when we are at work with a doggie door to the yard.
    Hubby walks them 2 miles in the morning before we leave them however.

IĀ“d be very happy if you could suggest me some books about raising basenji puppy.

• I adopted an adult who was 3.5 when I got him (he just turned 5 in Jan). After the initial bout of separation anxiety (and by bout, I mean 4 months!), he turned into a wonderful addition. I leave him unattended from 7am until 6pm every day (he gets a half hour noon walk from my dog walker) of the week and he doesn't do a damn thing to disappoint me. He's never chewed the furniture, he doesn't soil the carpetā€¦nothing. He's a perfect dog. I am a firm believer in the fact that ANY dog can be a good dog and that not all Basenji's are destructive. Only the dog gods will ever know what it is that makes some eat the furniture and some not. Adult or puppy, it's a crap shoot, but I would think they can be trained to focus on destroying other things (like toys) than your furniture. Just like housetraining. My B has been crated only a handful of times, and that only happens when I am away from home.

• I am a firm believer in the fact that ANY dog can be a good dog and that not all Basenji's are destructive. Only the dog gods will ever know what it is that makes some eat the furniture and some not. Adult or puppy, it's a crap shoot, but I would think they can be trained to focus on destroying other things (like toys) than your furniture. Just like housetraining. My B has been crated only a handful of times, and that only happens when I am away from home.

I agreeā€¦it's hit or miss with pups or adults on who's destructive. As for the bonding. I'd have to respectfully disagree with you Atoosa. My furkids are so incredibly close to me...they protect me (even when I don't want them to), they come to cuddle with me, they lick me when I'm upset, my husband gets kisses from TOPAZ on command :D...we have an amazing bond with our dogs.

• @jys1011:

my husband gets kisses from TOPAZ on command :Dā€¦we have an amazing bond with our dogs.

I am training Dallas to lick my chin when I saw "kisses" šŸ™‚ So cute!

I think you can have just as strong of a bond with an adopted adult as with a puppy.

That said, I don't blame you for wanting your shot at having a puppy for your first dog. It will be tough though. It's literally like having a newborn in the house (personally I think even worseā€¦). In my opinion, you should not be as worried about a Basenji ruining your things if left at home. You should be focused instead on understanding the breed & knowing how to properly train them so that [hopefully] you can eventually leave them uncrated as they get past their destructive chew phase in puppyhood.

• Go to this site.
    www.evergreenbasenjiclub.org
    On the left hand side of the page is the Basenji Owners Manual.
    Click on this.
    Its not expensive and its very helpful.
    Good luck.

• Welcome to the forum. When I acquired my dog (at 4 yrs) he was known to be very destructive and even tore up his crates. However, when I took him home and worked with him and spent time with him and gave him lots of toys, I never ever had any destructive problems. Who knows what went on with the previous owner!
    Talk with your breeder and find out what kinds of dogs the parents were, and what kind of advice s/he can give you about training, etc. Reputable breeders will take the pup back if there is a serious problem and it just doesn't work out for you. Spend time with the breeder and get to know the puppy personalities.

Suggested Topics