Possible Breeding Questions

• This is true about conformation. I have shown Shadow and Sugar to their Canadian Championship, specialed Sugar, have put Shadow in Rally obedience, started to race, and am currently showing Damisi in conformation. This has enabled me to view LOTS of dogs. Not to mention have been to the Canadian Specialties as well as the American Specialties. So I believe I have a view as to what is out there. This helps tremendously when considering to breed and to what end you want to achieve. If you are thinking about breeding please go to some shows and see what's out there. Like I said, I'm not bashing you at all. My view is any breeder should be breeding to better the breed and not because your dog is on standard or you want puppies, or you have puppy buyers.

Here is a write up on how breeder's choose which dogs to breed. Dr. Tracey Leonard has owned and bred basenji's for 15 years. Actually, she is the one I travel to to have my dogs OFA x-rays done. She knows how to handle basenji's and can get the x-ray done in less than 3 minutes (I swear) with no anesthetic.

http://www.canismajor.com/dog/chos2brd.html

• You are 20 yrs old, right? And a new Basenji owner – new to the breed?

You are young and new. Not to knock either - I am old and pretty new to the breed {having only owned a Basenji for three years}. There's no way I'd be ready to become a breeder at this time.

Why not take a few years to get established in a career, learn more about the breed and the breeding process, and THEN plan to breed if you feel it still interests you? You have YEARS ahead to accomplish this goal if it remains something you really want to do.

• Sadly I dont think he cares too much. Hasnt even bothered to respond.
    No one on here said anything mean, but he didnt like what he was hearing and is now ignoring it.
    Probably will go ahead with it too:(

• i agree with jazzysmom..

im only 19, and i have two basenjis, and i would NEVER consider breeding them right now (even though i can't because rockys fixed and mia will be within the next 6 months) maybe when i get older and are ready for the commitment..

i cant decide on what i want to wear or eat for dinner and change my mind 2915701264730 times.. :p but you cant turn back once your dog gets impregnated.. things get tough.. and your STUCK with it.. you need to think LONG and HARD and be completely sure.. not just that you want puppies but because you want to better the breed..

also, if you work full time who will be there when the puppies are born?

• People need to only read about rescue dogs and how they got to where they are to understand why we are so outspoken about breeding (or as the case may be, not breeding) Believe me it is not and easy decision when you are trying to do it right… it is costly and a labor of love... pure and simple... I bred my first litter only to find 2 days before the pups were born that my bitch's dam had Fanconi... can you image what I felt? Can you understand why we are so against anyone that bred this year without testing? I went forward with a different approach only to get temperaments that I didn't like... I made the hard choice and did not take that line forward other then to collect the males for possible use in the future if I then had a line with excellent temperaments that also prove to "throw" those temperaments... and it was not that they were nasty, but just a bit to strong for my taste...
    Understand that every breeder if you are a responsible breeder makes very, very hard choices... and the choice to NOT breed it the worst... and the most difficult... which is why we ask? What does your Basenji have to offer the breed?

Suggested Topics