Skip to content

Great Canned Food

Basenji Feeding
  • For those of you looking for a great canned food for your kids, I have to say mine are crazy about EVO canned, but not the 95% meat one, but the specialized ones, Duck, Rabbit, etc… and they love the Duck... while I have to special order a case (and that is not a problem) it is a great food and my elders with health problems and do not always want to eat..this has been real find...

  • I'll have to try those…I use the 95% meat ones. Apache is real picky and I'm always looking for ways to get him to keep eating! Thanks!

  • My old kids and one that is in renal failure loves both the duck and rabbit…

  • I tried these when we were in Cali for the nationals (they came in some of the bags that were being handed out for some wins)…
    The ONLY dog of mine that would eat any of them was the live grabage disposal, aka Kenny (my fulll African that loves all fruits and veggies and anything else under the sun).
    None of my dogs are picky and generaly eat whatever I give them.... and it never occured to me that they'd have turned up their food (normally get canned Natural Balance in their dinners) when I put some of that in there.
    Rest assured, Kenny was well fed for a few days! LOL

    Had they eaten it, I would have really considering buying it for them, as the ingredients seemed very good. I guess my pocket book got lucky this time around!!

  • I feed dry Evo-Innova mix but have to give one of my dogs medicine twice a day. The EVO rabbit and venison are great for getting even a very suspicious dog to take a bite. I will look for the duck as well.

    Anne in Tampa

  • I send a few cans to a friend that was having problems with her bitch not eating after whelping.. sent her a rabbit and a couple of duck.. and her bitch loved it…

Suggested Topics

  • Food recall

    Basenji Feeding
    17
    0 Votes
    17 Posts
    13k Views
    sabaS
    Ive just put one of my guys on TOTW, and just bought a bag yesterday. Thankfully this bag appears to not be affected, BUT… I have 4 sample packs, one of which is open and has been fed to the dog... I cant find a Production Code box on any of the sample packs ??? Should I just chuck them out, or does anyone know how I can check to see if these are contaminated ??? ETA Im in Australia, and have heard nothing about this recall, until I came here today...
  • Raw food

    Basenji Feeding
    28
    0 Votes
    28 Posts
    23k Views
    L
    We switched our 2 boys to raw from kibble about 6 months ago. The switch came because we were simply exhausted from walking them 3 times a day because they had loose stool (we don't have fenced in yard, so we need to walk them to go to the bathroom). Our vet recommended more fiber in their diet to help with loose stool. This intuitively just didn't resonate with us. Basenji are one of the most ancient breeds of dog… why on earth would more fiber be a solution to their problem (I know the theoretical why, but logically it was counter-intuitive)? We read many sources or literature on the raw diet and thought this would be a good switch for them. Again, they are an ancient breed so moving toward raw foods seemed appropriate and logical. It took that about a month for them to get really accustomed to eating raw chicken quarters, rabbit halves or pork shoulders but now they have no problem gulping their meal right down, bone and all (for those of you who don't feed raw, gulping is a normal behavior and bone is an essential part of the diet). Their digestion issues have vanished and we've even seen marked improvement in their destructive behavior. Two super happy boys now, two super happy Basenji owners!!
  • "human" food or dog food?

    Basenji Feeding
    30
    0 Votes
    30 Posts
    23k Views
    P
    I once had a pup under treatment at the Bristol Veterinary hospital. When they finally sorted the problem I was told now you'll be able to give him real food meaning kibble!1 I always feed raw and whatever but never complete dog food. Having said that it seems that over here we get a new dog food manufactutrer every month and all claim that theirs is the best!!
  • Great site about dog food

    Basenji Feeding
    7
    0 Votes
    7 Posts
    4k Views
    MacPackM
    I agree with Pat. If the 'best' dogfood gives your dog gas, or loose stools, it isn't the best for that dog. Like Petra said, you feed a good to great quality food, hi or medium protein, whatever your dog likes that agrees with them.
  • Food switching

    Basenji Feeding
    18
    0 Votes
    18 Posts
    10k Views
    C
    @Varanus: So I have Yoshi on Canidae All Life Stages right now, and I don't think it's the food for him. He's doing better on it than on the lower-meat-content Three Dog Bakery food I was using, but it isn't making him as happy and healthy as it could. For various reasons, I don't think I can do a raw diet right now, so I'm interested in kibble recommendations. I'm willing to spend money to get good food for him to thrive on, but I'm also not made of cash. Recommendations? B's are funny about there food, I only feed dry food and use Wellness brand, which has been good for my B's, Try a newpaper under the bowl so it wond shift around, that may help. If he hungry enough he will eventually eat. Good luck.
  • 0 Votes
    9 Posts
    6k Views
    lvossL
    You can get Fresh Digest at Petco. Prozyme you can order from Drs Foster and Smith online. Both are probiotics. The size sold at Petco is about 100 servings.