• @Basenji_Boy:

I've only ever seen one and it was this past summer…..they tell me the judge gave the person a hard time about it. I can't confirm that.

I just thought it looked like a cloudy Tri. I didn't think it looked that good.

As with most brindles, I think the overall look depends on the quality of the stripes. I have seen some nicely marked Trindles and some that just look muddy. Some judges have made a big deal about the color because it is not explicitly described in our standard. AKC has argued that the wording for a tri color dog in our standard is loose enough to include brindle pointed tri. Fanciers argue round and round on the point. Since color is something that everyone can see it is something that everyone has an opinion on.

• If you google the 'trindle' or pointed brindle tri, there isn't a whole lot to see. To me it looks like a tricolor with only markings in the 'red' portion of the coat. Is there such a thing as a tri with the red markings in the black part of the coat? Like stripes? Most stripes I've seen are black on red, not red on black.

• @lvoss:

As with most brindles, I think the overall look depends on the quality of the stripes. I have seen some nicely marked Trindles and some that just look muddy. Some judges have made a big deal about the color because it is not explicitly described in our standard. AKC has argued that the wording for a tri color dog in our standard is loose enough to include brindle pointed tri. Fanciers argue round and round on the point. Since color is something that everyone can see it is something that everyone has an opinion on.

So it's up to the individual judge?

• Boy that is the truth about the fancy and arguments about color…. again, we all need to learn to look past the color but that doesn't mean that people will breed for it... because people always will have a preference. And true with Brindles and the quality of the stripes... I know of one dog around here that you would be hard pressed most days to even find the stripes.. but they really are there....

• @Basenji_Boy:

So it's up to the individual judge?

Judges should follow the standard, since there is nothing that says that these colors are not acceptable, just maybe not totally spelled out.. that said, judges should NOT be judging color period IMO

• @tanza:

Judges should follow the standard, since there is nothing that says that these colors are not acceptable, just maybe not totally spelled out.. that said, judges should NOT be judging color period IMO

Yeah, should not be….....:eek:

• @TuckerVA:

DQ = Disqualification…

I know that look. He's thinking... "Please leave the room so I can shred this awful coat!"

He also looks like he's thinking that someone is going to pay big time for dressing him up in that coat! That is a definite "I am NOT amused" look! 😃

Pat

• Soooo, according to this BYB a Brindle Basenji is worth more $$$?!?!? My Brindle Basenji/Whippet mix was $100.00 from the animal shelter!!! Even us first-time basenji owners, that have done their research, know that brindle is not rare. Here in Knoxville I have only seen about 3 purebred basenjis, although I hear there are more around town. 2 were R/W, 1 was Tri-Colored and the tri-colored won 2nd place in a local contest!!! COOL!

• :d :d :d :d

• I have a capped tri.
    His color is kind of rare in that breeders did not breed for it because most thought it was not desirable. (read that somewhere)
    I like it, I got him from BRAT and he was picked out for me. So, I didnt get much of a choice 🙂 although I fell in love with him from the first picture that was sent.
    Tri, capped, B&W, R&W….I would not trade him and of course I would spend alot more than I paid for him to keep him 😃
    undesirable or not.

• He's a great looking dog and removes the Evil - Doberman look of the Tri that some find intimidating

• @Barklessdog:

He's a great looking dog and removes the Evil - Doberman look of the Tri that some find intimidating

I love the mask though:D they just look so sharp.
    Squiggy's "BRAT bro" has his mask, so we say they wrestle over it, or over who is better looking:D
    They are both handsome.

There is a capped tri on BRAT (Digo) now.
    He looks like he would make someone a great pet. helping him overcome his shyness would be so rewarding.
    I looked into fostering him when BRAT aquired him but he may not have done well with another male (he was intact at the time) and they were unsure about cats.
    But, gosh, he just pulled my heart strings.

• Interesting, I email a person on nextdaypets about their Basenjis for sale, and to their credit they did do Fanconi testing.. however their puppy prices are based on color… I asked her how come and she said that the color that sells the faster is the highest price.. sigh... so much breeding to improve the breed.... and not for a cash "crop"

Suggested Topics