The time has come to say goodbye…

  • I have finally given in, and I am trying to find Baroo a new home. I really love my dog, well I should say, we have a love/hate relationship, but I just don't think I can handle him anymore. After talking with my mom (who knows very well what I am going through with him), she has me realize that as much as I don't want to give him away and pass him on to yet another home, it is the right thing to do for both him and I. He is really in need of someone who has a little more time to spend training and playing and walking him. I just can't get into. I love him when he is being sweet and respectful and cooperative, but I get so angry and resent him when he acts out and won't behave. I just can't handle the stress and the yo-yo anymore. He really could be a great dog with the proper training, but I just don't have the time and my heart really isn't into it as much as I would like it to be. I just know I wouldn't be consistent with him the way that I would need to be, and that will not do either of us any good. I also know he is frustrated because he has so much energy and no release. I walk him about twice a week, and I know that isn't nearly enough, and that's why he is taking out his frustration on everything else, but I am just not here enough to do it more than that, (and he is horrible on a leash not to mention, which is really frustrating). It's not fair to him to keep him from being a good dog just because I don't have time and can't commit. He could be with someone who could do those things for him, and I'm sure he would make a great companion, just not for me. I'm afraid my animosity towards him gets in the way of me loving him and giving him the attention that he needs. I am very sorry to do it though, he has been passed around so much as it is, and hasn't really had a stable home for more than a year. I really didn't want to give up on him, and I tried to make it work, but I am afraid he is just too high strung and needy, and I already have to much on my plate to give him what he needs. I just hope that someone else can. He just isn't a good fit for our family, but that's not to say he wouldn't be for someone else, and I think he should have the chance at being loved and appreciated in a way that I can't do. I just can't take the stress and worry of what will have been destroyed when I get home, or what he is doing behind my back. Those are things that I am not sure would ever really go away, even with training, and I just don't want a dog that I can't trust. He has destroyed so many things, most of them being my son's, and I get tired of that. I am not used to a dog that is so destructive. I am tired of yelling at him (which I know doesn't do any good, but I can't help it) and being angry with him. I am having to stop him from misbehaving more than 5 times an hour, and that is just too much for me to handle on top of a toddler. It really is like having 2! He begs and steals food from my son and destroys things when he doesn't get his way or wants attention. He is very smart, but I swear he uses it to get back at me (and I know some of you don't agree, but you don't know him like I do)! I feel bad for not researching more about him before I decided to take him, because now we are both paying for that. I just need the type of dog that behaves when I am not home and that I can trust to not destroy things when I leave the room, and I don't think that will ever be Baroo. As hard as it is to have come to this conclusion, I think it is best for us all. I just want to be fair to him, he deserves more.

    I have contacted BRAT, but in the mean time, if anyone would be interested in taking on a challange, let me know!

  • Sorry to hear it hasn't worked out. I can certainly understand that having a high-strung basenji and a toddler might be a bit much.

    I posted this in the other thread you started, but do you know if the original owner got him from a breeder or rescue. The reason for asking about the breeder, is maybe he can be returned to the breeder? Also, because you said he was in tact, maybe the original owner had an agreement with the breeder that he wouldn't be neutered. Is there any way you can contact the original owner or his brother and ask where he came from? If he can go back to the breeder, that would solve your problem.

    Good luck!

  • Have you contacted BRAT with this?
    You really do need to.

  • I am sure that BRAT will help you.

  • As we have asked in your other message, do you know where/who he came from, Breeder?? And one thing that would have certainly helped would have been to have him neutered and if he doesn't go to BRAT, that is one thing you need to do before you place him….

  • I have contacted BRAT. I don't know where he came from, but I was told a breeder in the south somewhere. I have no way to contact the original owner, so getting him back to the breeder is not an option. I really don't know any info about his past.

  • He isn't microchipped is he?

  • I have decided to keep Baroo, and I hate to be so back and forth on the issue, but I am sure you have all been there at some point and understand. I am going to start a new post, so please see that one for further explaination. Thanks for all of your advice so far, I know I will be needed more now though!

Suggested Topics

  • 19
  • 22
  • 6
  • 169
  • 12
  • 11