Ruby's Under the Weather - A Couple of Questions

• Warning, this is a little graphic.

So the last 2 days when I've come home from work, Ruby has had diarrhea while in her crate…based on TuckerVA's thread, Ruby is definitely a spinner :eek: when she has diarrhea. Last night (day 1 of the diarrhea), like a fool I fed her her dinner to keep her occupied while I did the big cleanup. Then I logged on here and realized I should have skipped it. Things seemed not too bad last night, (other than my 3 hours of laundry, rug shampooing and Ruby's bath), one gassy poop (kind of watery) before bed and she slept fine thru the night. I didn't let her have her bully stick after dinner like normal.

When she pooped this morning it was formed (a little soft). Anyway, I thought I was in the clear. To be safe I didn't leave her kong (usually I put a tiny bit of peanut butter and her a small amount of her old kibble) or a bully stick. I came home from work at noon today and she had had another bout. This time there was a cow pattie and in case she missed a wall or part of the rug yesterday, she made up for that today. I brought her outside, she tried to produce, but nothing came out. I gave her a couple tablespoons of pumpkin and I called the vet. They told me to skip her dinner tonight (or else give her a bland diet) and if she isn't better by Friday, bring her in.
    I'm planning on skipping her dinner tonight.

The weird thing is that she acts totally normal, usual bouncy self, trails everyone around, runs around outside, drinks plenty of water. As well, I've taken her out a couple of times today since I've been home and she's only peed...hasn't tried to poop (even when I give her the command).

I know that Tucker's issue in the other thread was because of rawhide. Could Bully Sticks do it? She has had those more than usual last week as she is still in heat and the walks and outside time have been minimal and needs all the entertainment she can get.

The other thing, I had been using her new food in her kong (and switched to her old food this week), could the small amount in the kong cause something like this to happen?

One more thought, she has always had a small bit of sep. anxiety but she had been getting tons of exercise and her kong prior to me leaving. Because she's in heat, like I said before, her exercise is much, much less right now. So she gets her kong in the crate, but I doubt she's tired. Could she be getting diarrhea because she's upset for being left alone?

I'm working from home tomorrow to keep an eye on her, but in the meantime I thought I'd ask you experts.

Thanks in advance for any thought you might have on this. Kim

• I'm no expert - I've gotten lots of "right on" advice here. IMO, she's got an upset digestive system, maybe due to the change in her diet. Include brown rice in her bland diet - add it to her food along with boiled hamburger. I understand to change food brands, it must be done gradually mixed together over a week or two.

Oh so sorry for what you're dealing with. I hope Ruby will get back on track (tract) and feel much better ASAP.

• First I would wonder if there is any reason you have not had her spayed? That would solve that problem… not sure either why she would not have "outside" time? Is that because of "unalter" dogs in the area?

Could be to many bully sticks.. but could just as easily be something just upset her tummy... and could have some relationship to being in season, but I doubt it...

And yes even a small amount of different food "could" cause a problem added that to possible sep. anxiety...

The main thing with diarrhea is that you should withhold food for at least 24 hours and then a bland diet, like anything that is no fat.. rice, boiled ground meat (I use ground turkey boiled in water and then strained) for at least 48 hours. Do not withhold water unless they are vomitting the water back up... typically vomitting can indicate a possible blockage.

• @tanza:

First I would wonder if there is any reason you have not had her spayed? That would solve that problem… not sure either why she would not have "outside" time? Is that because of "unalter" dogs in the area?

Could be to many bully sticks.. but could just as easily be something just upset her tummy... and could have some relationship to being in season, but I doubt it...

And yes even a small amount of different food "could" cause a problem added that to possible sep. anxiety...

The main thing with diarrhea is that you should withhold food for at least 24 hours and then a bland diet, like anything that is no fat.. rice, boiled ground meat (I use ground turkey boiled in water and then strained) for at least 48 hours. Do not withhold water unless they are vomitting the water back up... typically vomitting can indicate a possible blockage.

Yup…unaltered dogs, unleashed/unrestrained dogs are many on my road. She still gets outside time, but the walking/length of walks have been limited. She's being spayed in the spring.

She isn't getting fed tonight and she has plenty of water available...she's taking water fine and no vomit. So, thanks for the advice about withholding food, I wasn't going to give her her dinner tonight anyway. And I'll start the bland diet tomorrow night. I'll be working from home tomorrow so I can get a better idea about what is going on.

I was only gone 3 hours this morning and that short a time has never been a problem in the past, tired or not, so I tend to think you're right about it being something more to do with an upset tummy.

Thanks for your advice...

• @Duke:

I'm no expert - I've gotten lots of "right on" advice here. IMO, she's got an upset digestive system, maybe due to the change in her diet. Include brown rice in her bland diet - add it to her food along with boiled hamburger. I understand to change food brands, it must be done gradually mixed together over a week or two.

Oh so sorry for what you're dealing with. I hope Ruby will get back on track (tract) and feel much better ASAP.

Actually her food was changed (very slowly) many months ago, but I thought I'd mix it up by using a small amount of other food in her kong. Guess that might not have been a good idea after all.

Thanks for the info about the bland diet…I'll give it a go starting tomorrow night.

• @renaultf1:

Actually her food was changed (very slowly) many months ago, but I thought I'd mix it up by using a small amount of other food in her kong. Guess that might not have been a good idea after all.

Thanks for the info about the bland diet…I'll give it a go starting tomorrow night.

A change, or different food usually isn't enough to cause that kind of reaction. She probably got a 'bad' bully stick…those things can grow bacteria pretty quick. Or maybe she got a little virus. It happens occasionally.

I think your plan sounds good, withold regular food...bland diet...plenty of water. She should be fine in a day or so.

• Is she looking for food? If she is, it would not hurt to give her a little… brown rice only... and the main thing with a bland diet is NO fat.... so you can even use no fat cottage cheese if you want.... I many times will mix rice, boil/drained ground meat, and cottage cheese... and give in little meals during the day to see how they do... but sounds like she will be fine soon!!! and it is the best news that she is drinking....

• @tanza:

Is she looking for food? If she is, it would not hurt to give her a little… brown rice only... and the main thing with a bland diet is NO fat.... so you can even use no fat cottage cheese if you want.... I many times will mix rice, boil/drained ground meat, and cottage cheese... and give in little meals during the day to see how they do... but sounds like she will be fine soon!!! and it is the best news that she is drinking....

Yes, she is looking for food…just like she always is :D...that's one of the reasons I'm hopeful it isn't anything serious, she has been acting completely normal. Thanks for this post...I'm working from home today and think I'll try a little rice mid morning.

I really appreciate your help. 🙂

• @Quercus:

A change, or different food usually isn't enough to cause that kind of reaction. She probably got a 'bad' bully stick…those things can grow bacteria pretty quick. Or maybe she got a little virus. It happens occasionally.

I think your plan sounds good, withold regular food...bland diet...plenty of water. She should be fine in a day or so.

Interesting to know about the bully sticks growing bacteria. I usually buy them 3 - 4 at a time, which lasts about a month. Do you think it would be better to not do that and only buy them as I need them? I keep them in a dry place and I only use the Red Barn ones…they don't stink as bad as the cheaper ones :D. I tried some organic bully sticks but Ruby wouldn't touch them...not tasty/smelly enough for her :rolleyes:.

Unfortunately, bully sticks seem to be the only chew thing that Ruby will touch...I've tried every chew toy under the sun at this point and she's not interested in them at all.

• @renaultf1:

Interesting to know about the bully sticks growing bacteria. I usually buy them 3 - 4 at a time, which lasts about a month. Do you think it would be better to not do that and only buy them as I need them? I keep them in a dry place and I only use the Red Barn ones…they don't stink as bad as the cheaper ones :D. I tried some organic bully sticks but Ruby wouldn't touch them...not tasty/smelly enough for her :rolleyes:.

Unfortunately, bully sticks seem to be the only chew thing that Ruby will touch...I've tried every chew toy under the sun at this point and she's not interested in them at all.

I have never had a problem with the bully sticks from Red Barn.. but "stuff" happens… gggg... I would just chalk it up as a tummy upset... happens....:)

• So far, so good today…I fed Ruby a small amount (about a 1/4 cup) of rice/boiled hamburg around 10am...no problem. I fed her about the same amount around 1pm (this time with a tiny bit of pumpkin) and still no problem. I'll feed her again in another 3-4 hours. She ate like she's never had food before :D, so there's nothing wrong with her appetite. She is still drinking water occasionally and always with food).

It's freezing here so she's just been lying in front of the fire most of the day (normal when the stove is running). She's been outside a bunch and has pee'd but no poop.

I'm crossing my fingers (and her paws :D) that the worst is over.

• @renaultf1:

Sounds like you've had your share of mess, I hope the worst is over for you too.;)

• @Basenji_Boy:

Sounds like you've had your share of mess, I hope the worst is over for you too.;)

Thanks!!! 😉

• @renaultf1:

So far, so good today…I fed Ruby a small amount (about a 1/4 cup) of rice/boiled hamburg around 10am...no problem. I fed her about the same amount around 1pm (this time with a tiny bit of pumpkin) and still no problem. I'll feed her again in another 3-4 hours. She ate like she's never had food before :D, so there's nothing wrong with her appetite. She is still drinking water occasionally and always with food).

It's freezing here so she's just been lying in front of the fire most of the day (normal when the stove is running). She's been outside a bunch and has pee'd but no poop.

Sounds good, one thing however… I would use ground turkey and/or ground chicken... it really is easier on the gut then hamburger....

• @tanza:

Sounds good, one thing however… I would use ground turkey and/or ground chicken... it really is easier on the gut then hamburger....

Thanks, I plan on getting some tomorrow. However, today I needed to use what I had in the house as I didn't want to leave her (even for an hour to go to the store considering how quickly it all went wrong yesterday). The only other thing I had was ground bison…but I was afraid to use that. Trust me, I was lucky I had rice in the house ;).

I'll have some emergency supplies in the future. :rolleyes: that's for sure.

• I'm curious how long the soft stool continues once they are on the bland diet (I switched to boiled ground turkey instead of ground beef)…so boiled brown rice & ground turkey and a spoonful of pumpkin. I've been feeding her 3 times a day (1/4 cup amounts). The last 2 nights she woke me up every 3 hours to have me take her out. The stool is very soft & runny, but not water like was the original problem...could the pumpkin keep it runny? The poop is pumpkin coloured. She's still eating fine, taking water, running around and acting normal.

I'm wondering if I should still be doing the small meals...she is normally fed once per day.

Just a reminder of the timeline of this...the whole water diarrhea was Tuesday & Wednesday, Wednesday I didn't feed her at all. Thursday - Saturday I fed her bland diet (3x day, 1/4 cup amounts).

I'm planning on taking her to the vet on Monday just to be checked.

In the meantime, I thought I'd ask...should I be seeing more improvement by now, or because it was so bad Tuesday & Wednesday might it take longer.

I just don't know. Thanks!

• I would not be feeding the pumpkin at this point at all… just the rice and turkey.. and really because it has no fat, you should have very little stool, however that said they will usually be to the soft side... Also I never agreed with feeding once a day, I believe that twice is much better for them.. and small amounts, I do at regular feeding times...

• @tanza:

I would not be feeding the pumpkin at this point at all… just the rice and turkey.. and really because it has no fat, you should have very little stool, however that said they will usually be to the soft side... Also I never agreed with feeding once a day, I believe that twice is much better for them.. and small amounts, I do at regular feeding times...

Thanks Pat…I was hoping you were online this morning ;).

Yes, there is very little stool, so I'm glad that is normal and that being soft is ok as well. I'll stop the pumpkin. Do you think I should add cottage cheese, or just keep it at the rice/turkey.

And yes, I had planned on switching her to 2x per day feedings but just had not done it. So thanks!

• @renaultf1:

I'm curious how long the soft stool continues once they are on the bland diet (I switched to boiled ground turkey instead of ground beef)…so boiled brown rice & ground turkey and a spoonful of pumpkin. I've been feeding her 3 times a day (1/4 cup amounts). The last 2 nights she woke me up every 3 hours to have me take her out. The stool is very soft & runny, but not water like was the original problem...could the pumpkin keep it runny? The poop is pumpkin coloured. She's still eating fine, taking water, running around and acting normal.

Small, soft stool is not unusual on a bland diet but the waking you up every 3 hours to go out is not usual. It sounds like she picked up a stomach bug.

• @lvoss:

Small, soft stool is not unusual on a bland diet but the waking you up every 3 hours to go out is not usual. It sounds like she picked up a stomach bug.

Good to know…thanks! Does it seem odd, that she would still have the bug 5 days later? BTW, she has not vomited at all.

Suggested Topics