PEEing in my daughters' rooms !

• I usually keep a gate across my steps. The only rooms upstairs are my daughters', so to avoid Deke getting into stuff I don't allow him up there. He'd gone up a couple of times(forgot the gate). Today I thought, Their rooms are clean(for now) so I left the gate down. The doors were closed. My oldest left her room to use the bathroom(quick trip) Deke went right in her room and peed on her PJs. Their clothes are always laying around they are 6 & 10 they're a mess! He never does that down stairs to their stuff. He's gotten in their rooms before and will Pee, on the floor, lift his leg on the corner of the bed, now PJs. Why does he feel the need to mark their rooms? Is he being pocessive of them, or just the house? Anybody have any thoughts? I'm trying to adopt another I don't want him to think he's got to Pee everywhere !! Oh, he's 4 we haven't had any other house training issues in years just their rooms.

• Yeah, I would say probably marking the rooms. Try letting him have supervised access more frequently, so that he doesn't think 'oh, new place, must mark' Not so much possesiveness…but calling card...I was here!

• @Quercus:

Yeah, I would say probably marking the rooms. Try letting him have supervised access more frequently, so that he doesn't think 'oh, new place, must mark' Not so much possesiveness…but calling card...I was here!

Yup that is what I would say too…

When one of the pups that I placed when home, she within 2 days started marking their son's bed... every chance she got.... that results in a gate for the next year.....

• Thank you ! ! Kinda what I thought. I told them not to leave him alone. It's great being able to get good advice so quickly… I love this forum!!!!!

• Since he hasn't been allowed upstairs much before, he doesn't know that the rules are the same upstairs as downstairs. It might sound kind of silly, but dogs don't generalize very well (even our gifted Bs!).

Treat his upstairs visits like potty training all over again. Only let him upstairs AFTER you've seen him pee outside. And since the girls aren't able to keep their eyes on him at all times, keep him tethered to you on visits upstairs. That way you can watch for any signals of marking, and he'll likely be paying more attention to you than all the new stuff. After this is successful for a while, he can go up with you as long as you can keep an eye on him. You might even consider adding a "permission" word to let him know when its okay to go upstairs.

• my dog did this the first week we rescued him and well he's not allowed in our daughter's room anymore. He hasn't done agaon or anywhere else

• Makes sense. Maybe he doesn't need to be in their rooms anyway. I'll have to plan when I want to tackle this one. It can't ever be as easy as you want want it to be. I always hoped he'd sleep with them or me and my hubby but he loves his crate. If we're up late he gets impatient to go in and go to bed. I guess i should be thankful for that!!!! Thanks again

• @senji:

Makes sense. Maybe he doesn't need to be in their rooms anyway. I'll have to plan when I want to tackle this one. It can't ever be as easy as you want want it to be. I always hoped he'd sleep with them or me and my hubby but he loves his crate. If we're up late he gets impatient to go in and go to bed. I guess i should be thankful for that!!!! Thanks again

Visualizing Jazzysmom running from her computer, ripping her hair out 😉

• are you kidding me…grateful..u should be praising the crate god..lol...I can't get Belle (our new 😎 off the bed. Champ will sleep in his bed but if she's sleeping with us, we can't let him not come up also. The point was to have them sleep together since we are trying to make adjustments for, hopefully, a baby next year and don't think baby and dogs on the bed is such a great idea. Well we will see what happens....so YES count your blessings.

• I don't know if it makes a difference but Deke loves his crate covered. i put a blanket over it he can hear us but not see us. I think he feels safe(like a den). As a puppy he would cry until we covered it, then he'd quiet down. I don't know if that would help anyone or not.

• @senji:

I don't know if it makes a difference but Deke loves his crate covered. i put a blanket over it he can hear us but not see us. I think he feels safe(like a den). As a puppy he would cry until we covered it, then he'd quiet down. I don't know if that would help anyone or not.

usually that technique doesn't work with crate phobic dogs because they freak out so much they pull the cover in and eat it 🙂 been there, done that 🙂 Good idea though, for the not-so crate phobic dog.

Suggested Topics