• I'm curious about the history of the wild Basenji as a hunter in Africa. Along the way, I've come across stories that wild Basenjis hunted in packs and would take down large prey by "body-slamming" themselves against the animal's legs, knocking it off its feet. Is this true? If you can point me to some good resources on the history of Bs as hunters in the wild, please drop me a line. Thanks! ~ Lori ~

• That is interesting about the "body-slamming" When Tyler and Zoey are running around playing in the backyard, Tyler lets Zoey run around like a little maniac–he will chase her to get her started, then he stands and waits for her to pass by, and he body slams her! Maybe that's from instinct??

• I'm fairly new to the world of basenjis. My boy is 3. So this may not mean a thing but I've never heard of 'wild basenjis'. Everything I've read and heard says that they have never been wild and have always been domestic/family/village dogs.

• Being from Florida, I've been to the Ringling Museum in Sarasota. They have art all through that. They have several large paintings depicting Basenji's taking down water buffalo by attacking in packs, and ripping out it's underbelly area'. So someone somewhere heard about that method of hunting in the wild.

• "body-slamming" themselves against the animal's legs, knocking it off its feet. Is this true?

My dogs have done that to me like they are trying to bully me!

• @tasha:

I'm fairly new to the world of basenjis. My boy is 3. So this may not mean a thing but I've never heard of 'wild basenjis'. Everything I've read and heard says that they have never been wild and have always been domestic/family/village dogs.

My sister-in-law and her parents lived in Africa for quite a few years when she was growing up.(Tanzania and Kenya) They said that there were many wild, mongrel-type dogs that had basenji features in their vicinity.

Suggested Topics