• So I got home from work today and the dogs asked to go in the backyard like normal. I opened the door to let them out and as they ran past me I realized there was a pigeon sitting on my patio. It ran away from the dogs but did not try to fly. Poor thing didn't stand a chance, my two youngest were on it in a second. The older two don't like going out in the backyard and didn't go out with the younger ones but as I was trying to get the younger ones in they wanted out to join in. I finally got 3 of them in by dumping a can of Merrick's Turducken in their dish and had to drag the last one in. Ugh.

My husband has now cleaned up the backyard and the dogs are out looking to see if there are anymore dumb birds waiting for them.

• I do feel sorry for the "critters" our dogs catch…but comfort myself that they had something wrong with them and they didn't slowly starve to death.
    However, its tough when your right there watching it.

Clean up is well "icky"!

• I do think that there must have been something wrong with the bird since it didn't even try to fly away. My husband pointed out that if it was sick and had returned to the rest of the flock they probably would have pecked it to death so the dogs were probably quicker and more kind. They didn't maul it or try to eat it.

• This happens in our yard every spring 😞 I hate it. As the baby birds fledge, they can't fly well yet. The dogs have learned to listen for the call that the babies make to their moms…and also the call that the moms use when their babies are in danger. I usually spend a few weeks trying to help the baby birds over the fence...ugh

Last year, the dogs caught and mauled an adult robin...but they wouldn't kill it! I was like 'come on, don't make me do it' but not one of them would actually finish the job...double yuck...

• @Quercus:

This happens in our yard every spring 😞 I hate it. As the baby birds fledge, they can't fly well yet. The dogs have learned to listen for the call that the babies make to their moms…and also the call that the moms use when their babies are in danger. I usually spend a few weeks trying to help the baby birds over the fence...ugh

Last year, the dogs caught and mauled an adult robin...but they wouldn't kill it! I was like 'come on, don't make me do it' but not one of them would actually finish the job...double yuck...

Don't you hate that?… I get so pissed at my guys when they do that.... BRATS that they area!!!!!

• Oh yes the hunter dogs… Charlie is still tormented by the adult birds at our dog park. Last spring a baby fell from the tree and hurt itself quite badly. I didn't even realize what Charlie was so interested in untill all the adult birds started freaking out and chasing him around the park. To this day they still seem to remember that he is the bad dog. 🙂

Suggested Topics