• Yes Quercus you are soooooo right! He was playing me like the fool that I am because Basenji's believe that they are far superior than us. ๐Ÿ™‚
    Wellโ€ฆI finally put my foot down and decided that I will no longer cater to his needs. He is a dog and dogs eat dog food....Period! If you dont want it than starve. (ok...im not really this mean) but I got that in my head and it has worked. Now he knows that this is it. He is eating again. ๐Ÿ™‚

• When I mix wet and dry foods my dog will sniff through the dry stuff and scarf up the wet stuff. Then we are left with a half a bowl of dry slobbery dog food that we are forced to waste. Believe me, we are not feeding crappy quality food either. Its frustrating!

• Mica has been through so many changes in her eating habits, I cant keep track of it, or so it seems. I have had her turn her nose up at iams, merrick, evo, raw diet, and I have stopped the many treats, but I now have her eating dry purina, and partial wet canned dog food and she changed the product on that, too. Shell eat rice that I cook her also. She seems to like the canned chicken flavors esp the little gravy thighs, and canned duck, too. Ive tried cooking vegetables and that seems to work, as that is in the experimental stage, hand feeding her sometimes, and we eat dinner or breakfast at the same time, sometimes, too. She gets yoghurt, too. It seems to be that you have to work at feeding this little creature. But I think variety is the thing. I like to think if I were a wild animal, wouldnt I like variety and be choosy on the diet I could find? She eats the crab grass with a ravenous pleasure. After we go for long walks and play time at the dog park, she gets a big treat, or a bully with a find it game, sometimes. She also gets kongs with peanut butter and a bully stuck in it, frozen if there is time and of course, the never ending treat jar at the top of the bed. It is a constant watch, how is she eating game. But than, I worry about her, too. I know, someone may add that I cater to her taste pleasures, but than, I am rewarded by a constant, endless shadow in my presence and she is an amazing animal to watch that rewards me with an unmatched friendship. I can move and she will wake up from a sleep and follow me. But I think she likes variety and a challenge.
    BaMicas mom

• Jack goes through phases where he won't eat too. I call it his anorexic phase. I started adding water to his food and he has started eating it all in one sitting. If that is all it takes, fine by me.

• I must be really lucky with both the kids. I have never had them refuse their meals. Well that is not totally true. Part of changing over to a Raw diet for charlie was that he had so many grain alergies that he would actualy starve himself rather than eat. He would refuse both food and treats. He would go so long without food that he would just puke EVERYWHERE. Zaire has never been a picky eater. Her breader said she was bad about concentrating on eating and to crate her while eating, but from the first day a brought her home I have never had a problem. With them both on a raw diet they get alot more variety than they would with kibble. (I don't know about all of you, but I couldn't eat the same dried food every day of my life). ๐Ÿ™‚

• My Sahara is a picky eater too, she likes her variety. She likes Merrick's dry, mixed with Merrick's wet but I give her different kinds of Merrick's. Like chicken, lamb, vension, turkey, she is sooooo spoiled I know as well. There are days she doesn't eat well at all, but I just leave it until she does. If she doesn't eat it by the end of the day I have to throw it out, which makes me mad b\c Merrick is NOT cheap. She has never been a big eater though so I try not to worry to much, she is slim and muscular and that's the way I think she should look, I don't want her over 25 lbs. which she weighs now. PERFECT!

Suggested Topics