• Okay, you know we are only in month three of owning two Basenjis.
    And I gotta tell you, their constant bickering is really something {and really getting to my dh}.

Sometimes all Keoki has to do is enter the room, and Jazzy starts mouthing off to him. Sometimes he can come in and there's no problem. Sometimes he can walk in the room and she'll tear out after him. Random fights happen a couple of times a day; sometimes we can't quite figure out the cause.

Other times, Jazzy lets him chew so hard on her neck that she gags and does nothing. THAT upsets me, and I always pull him off. He is relentless.

Last night they got into a yelling match over the dog bed, then curled up and went to sleep together.

In Jazzy's defense, Keoki is a PEST. He'll bite at her back legs and run when he knows she is is a pissy mood, etc. When she's asleep, he'll sneak up and chew her haunches.

Will they ALWAYS be like this? Or is is just a phase?

{It's downright embarrassing when we have guests over, or are trying to talk on the phone and all hell breaks loose for a few minutes.}

• It will probably get better. We are having that issue here with Ariel and Querk too. She pesters him relentlessly, and when she isn't pestering she is groveling, which pisses him off too, apparently. But, yeah…it is like "shuuut uuup" all the time 😉

I think around the six month mark is when the youngsters really figure out their place in the pack. And it is kind of like they have to repeat the interactions over and over to solidify them. As they start to mature you should see less of that.

Good luck...I feel your pain 😉

• Our Max and Cleo are as close to life mates as it gets…..she is on him constantly.....he takes it....to a point.

We've gotten used to it and at times it's very comical, like a married couple sort of. If she's getting attention and he moves in too soon, he get's a mouth full of teeth. It sounds intimidating, but he just let's it roll off and I think that's the funny part. I've seen her snarl at him for making eye contact........and I swear I've seen him roll his eyes like........geeez.:D

• Oh, yeah, me too!! Damisi pesters everyone and also chews on Shadow's neck til he gags. He's starting to really tell her off though. You'll get through it.

• @Basenji_Boy:

Our Max and Cleo are as close to life mates as it gets…..she is on him constantly.....he takes it....to a point.

We've gotten used to it and at times it's very comical, like a married couple sort of. If she's getting attention and he moves in too soon, he get's a mouth full of teeth. It sounds intimidating, but he just let's it roll off and I think that's the funny part. I've seen her snarl at him for making eye contact........and I swear I've seen him roll his eyes like........geeez.:D

yeah..there is that possiblity as well. Querk and Ivy are like that…..she squawks if he even walks past her precious sleeping spot 😉 Sometimes, if he wants the spot he will bait her until she flies of the couch, and then he promptly takes her spot...she is then flummoxed, and tries to look cool...

• You are talking about Duke and Daisy! Only Keoki is Daisy and Jazzy is Duke. It is still going on in my house too. Have you seen my thread about "brawling"? Last night Daisy had Duke by the neck - I couldn't believe how long Duke let that happen. I'm trying to be good with the advice I got and let them "work it out . . ." Sometimes I just have to shout "CUT IT! STOP! NO!" They stop short enough to glance at me and pick up where they left off. I know, it's hard to talk on the phone and yes - embarrasing like two kids need to be reprimanded. :o

• @Quercus:

I think around the six month mark is when the youngsters really figure out their place in the pack. And it is kind of like they have to repeat the interactions over and over to solidify them. As they start to mature you should see less of that.

Good luck…I feel your pain 😉

Oh - I really hope to see less of the bickering too.

Daisy is just 6 mos old. She used to eagerly dance over to me when I called her. Lately when I call her, she sits her butt down and stares at me like "You'll have to catch me first!" Is she now in her rebellious teenage stage? Because she won't come when I call her, unless food is involved. I try and get hold of her collar (if she doesn't defiantly make a run for it) or pick her up to go outside. (She's being oh-so bad lately.)

• @Quercus:

yeah..there is that possiblity as well. Querk and Ivy are like that…..she squawks if he even walks past her precious sleeping spot 😉 Sometimes, if he wants the spot he will bait her until she flies of the couch, and then he promptly takes her spot...she is then flummoxed, and tries to look cool...

Sounds exactly like OJ and Kristii… to a tee!

• Same here about Tayda and Lenny. Lenny is relentless with Tayda. She'll take it to a point, and then theres a smack down. But he doesn't get it. He just keeps coming back for more. In the mornings he'll let out a BIG yawn, and if her head is within reach, he'll stick his mouth around her head while hes yawning. Its hilarious.

• Other times, Jazzy lets him chew so hard on her neck that she gags and does nothing. THAT upsets me, and I always pull him off. He is relentless.

Same at my house with a 6yr old and 6month old. It is the challenge for the alpha position. And I believe there is an adjustment for the young ones with a full set of big teeth learning bite sensitivity. I have noticed Cairo now immitating the little grooming bites that Caesar used to do to him.

The biting and choking must be okay or the adult would stop it. I thought it was just Caesar being sweet and taking it, but it sounds like you are all experiencing the same thing.

A soft muzzle is fantastic for this type of behavior. Normally they both play. But in the evenings, Cairo is just too much with that second energy spurt and all Caesar wants to do is sit with us on the couch. The soft muzzle freezes Cairo like a stone. Once he stops sulking and he finally sits or does a down for me he will come back with kisses for everyone.:p I find that he will have to immediately pee after the muzzle comes off becuase it stresses him out (FYI).

Also, Cairo goes to bed at 9pm every night and Caesar gets to hang out with us and gets a break.

I call it the acting like a 2 year old syndrome. Cairo is fighting sleep and gets ultra pesky.

Suggested Topics