• I don't know how much trouble and $ bladder infections have cost me. Here's what the vet told me. He said that feeding the dogs veggies/fruit was making the dogs system too alkaline so the environment in the bladder not being acidic enough made it easy for bacteria to live and survive in. Any type of meat or rice are acidic. Fruits and veggies are alkaline. I haven't been giving much of either, just sticking mainly to meat. Also my black/wht would get the worst case of dandruff from feeding green beans or just any veggies. Cut that out and the dandruff reduces or disappears.

• That is not quite true. Urine should not be too acidic nor should it be too alkaline either could cause problems, usually the formation of crystals. Cats are much more prone to urinary tract problems and the recommendation is encouraging them to drink more so you don't have to worry about too acidic or too basic.

You are strip testing regularly? Fanconi dogs have a much high incidence of bladder infections because of the sugar in their urine. BCONC had a rescue turned in because she had been suffering from chronic bladder infections for 3 years and turned out to be Fanconi afflicted.

• You may also want to try giving a bit of yogurt as well. Not the flavoured, sugared kind, but the natural pro-biotic sort. I make my own, so they get it in a more natural form. But there are some good ones on the market now.

• Strip test were always negative. My cat just got a bladder infection, he's 15-1/2 and in very good health. 1 kidney is a bit small so he's on a reduced protein diet to prevent renal failure. No crystals in the urine though. He's never had an infection before.

• @nobarkus:

Here's what the vet told me. He said that feeding the dogs veggies/fruit was making the dogs system too alkaline so the environment in the bladder not being acidic enough made it easy for bacteria to live and survive in. Any type of meat or rice are acidic. Fruits and veggies are alkaline. I haven't been giving much of either, just sticking mainly to meat. Also my black/wht would get the worst case of dandruff from feeding green beans or just any veggies. Cut that out and the dandruff reduces or disappears.

Just curious how much fruit/veggies you were feeding? That may make a difference. I'd think they're fine as treats/supplements, but surely not as a major percentage of the diet. I'd think that less than 20% or so shouldn't be a big problem.

Also, my understanding is that most fruits are acidic not alkaline {not counting avocado,bell pepper, etc that are usually called veggies.}

• They perscribed Batril for Caesar when he had a UTI and it fixed it up right away.

What brand food are you using?

Suggested Topics