Skip to content

Where can I get the "How To Be A Basenji" manual written in Basenji?

Basenji Talk

Suggested Topics

  • Looking at getting a Basenji.

    Basenji Talk
    10
    0 Votes
    10 Posts
    4k Views
    tanzaT
    @jordandwilly - Thanks for clearing that up.... 9-5 is just fine, IMO.... I work and have always had to leave mine when I was at work, never an issue. That said, we were able to set up the house that access to the backyard (with 10 to 12' privacy fences) with a doggy door and a dog room in the house for them, Locks on the gates so there is NO access for anyone. Dogs sleep 90% of the day so being at work doesn't bother them... never have mine even when I had a litter in the house (And have been in the breed as owner/breeder for 35+ years). You can hire a dog walker to take them out mid day..which is a good solution. and give them a mid day meal depending on their age. I do not and never have used free feeding, period. Especially if you have more that one... you never know what/who is eating what. And you can set up camera's on line to watch them from "afar".... LOL. Keep in mind people that many of us need to work and have day jobs. The most important thing is the time you need to spend with them when you are home. Example would be, if you have young children and you work... when you get home you are going to spend your time with your human children... NO dog would be happy if left out... they need their time also because they are a family member and need as much time as a human child. Again in my opinion
  • Who says Basenjis can't get along?

    Basenji Talk
    9
    0 Votes
    9 Posts
    8k Views
    ?
    Cheers , my basenji gets along with just about every living thing…... Well maybe not birds & squirrels Ha I would love to be in a room with all those basenjis crazy, but so cool.
  • Poll: Where Did You Get Your Basenji?

    Basenji Talk
    19
    0 Votes
    19 Posts
    10k Views
    youngandtiredY
    Well, it started when I was out with my 22yr. old son at the mall. He said, "Hey, Mom lets look at the dogs in the petstore ", I replied, "I don't have time besides your Dad has too many ideas what a dog has to be like for us to get one", I'll never find a dog like he wants". That was 3 yrs. ago this Jan., and I had never heard of a Basenji. I called DH about 3 times the night I found Sahara to persuade him we needed this dog, but she was very expensive so it took some work talking him into me buying her. She is owned by my son, me and my husband, she lives with my husband and I. She is the best dog I have ever owned, and I have had many through my lifetime. I would never get another dog from a pet store (didn't know about puppy mills)but I would have not known of this breed if I hadn't stopped and looked that night. My husband loves this dog so very much, he buys her whatever she wants or needs. I love her also, she is my joy and I can't stand to be from her for very long, we just got back from a trip and it was so hard missing her. My son said that she didn't eat very good while we were gone and was very destructive in the house. Guess she missed us as well!
  • Can your basenji sing?

    Basenji Talk
    8
    0 Votes
    8 Posts
    4k Views
    Capt_Jack_our_BasenjiC
    I love it when Basenjis yodel, its so different! and very cute in my opinion!
  • Can a Basenji and Cat Get Along? Only When Sleeping

    Basenji Talk
    13
    0 Votes
    13 Posts
    7k Views
    dashD
    Those pictures were very cute. Our one cat, Amber, looks exactly the same. Dash can be too rough with Amber so when she feels overwhelmed she runs into the basement until Dash calms down. But they commonly sleep together. Our other cat, Giz, is older and Dash doesn't bother him at all. I think it is because Giz doesn't run.
  • A real Basenji "Bash"

    Basenji Talk
    11
    0 Votes
    11 Posts
    6k Views
    JazzysMomJ
    @etzbseder: Luckily, at my parents house, their dog has put smudges all over that door, and Medjai just scratches at it when he wants in. (I know I shouldn't reward it, but he wants in). I had Medjai yelp once when jumping off the bed, which is strange because he likes to sit on my shoulders and has jumped off there to chase animals without a problem. Keoki scratches when he wants in – started when we taught him to ring bells that were hanging, but the bells have disappeared "literally", so now he just scratches. Drives my husband crazy, but hey! Jazzy just sits quietly and winds up staying outside far longer than she wants to because I don't know she wants in. Keoki jumps up and scratches loudly.. guess who gets first?