• @elbrant Is there an alternative? I'm allergic to peanuts, and I'm not seeing any almond butter or sun-butter for dogs. Rogue occasionally licks my face, and tries to groom my beard hairs. I also routinely have to remove small objects and bits of fuzz from her mouth. Giving her peanut butter probably wouldn't kill me, but I'd almost definitely get a rash.

• @roguecoyote - I don't really agree with elbrant's suggestion, especially if you have peanut allergies. You should not take that chance. Please go with a loud yelp or a very loud "NO" and turn/walk away from her... and let her settle down... she really will outgrow this but it is up to you to instruct her on what is no approprite. And that includes "no more tug".... Take care and have fun with her, you are doing a good job!

• @roguecoyote cream cheese is also a good alternative to peanut butter, especially the soft kind, as easy as peanut butter, and safe for your allergy.
    Keep up the good work and the communication!

• @roguecoyote said in Rogue is biting.:

Is there an alternative? I'm allergic to peanuts

Sorry, didn't know about your allergy. Skip the peanut butter! How about some plain Greek Yogurt? (again, check to make sure it doesn't contain Xylitol.)

• Hope these may help with Puppy Biting

4 SIMPLE Exercises That You Can Do To STOP Puppy Biting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IfzDIY5Ffs&list=PL7BBgLulhernexam5V0TGSy9daVSETS3B

• @elbrant We give her plain regular yogurt, just a table spoon mixed into about half her meals. (the other half she gets a table spoon of cottage cheese.) Is greek yogurt better?

• @roguecoyote Check to make sure it doesn't contain Xylitol. Manufacturer's use it on "diet" products and it can kill dogs. I don't know how much it takes, but don't risk it.

Plain regular yogurt should be fine. And cottage cheese is the best cheese to give Rogue. 🙂 I give doodle cottage cheese every week.

• @zande said in Rogue is biting.:

@roguecoyote said in Rogue is biting.:

I've been trying to teach her to bite softly by letting her bite me

I think that is where you are starting to go wrong. She should be taught quite simply that biting is out.

Often it is attention seeking - don't let it get any. Ignore her, put her down, away from you, turn your back, walk away. Biting must not get her any attention from you. Rogue has to learn not to bite. You can also try growling at her as her mother would.

@tanza has the right of it. Don't get her over excited or she will bite more. Calm, move away. She will pick up the messages. She's an intelligent girl !

My 12 week old seems to just cling to the body part he's biting. He goes for my ankles (lol) and does not let go so walking away, not paying attention to or trying to pick up and put him down only gives him a new target (my hands). So, the "removing myself from the drama" thing I see said often online doesn't seem to make much sense if he's just going to keep biting as I walk or not let go.

Will try the treat tip earlier in the thread but whew.. some of these bites hurt! Ha

• @yahtzee92 said in Rogue is biting.:

My 12 week old seems to just cling to the body part he's biting. He goes for my ankles (lol) and does not let go so walking away, not paying attention to or trying to pick up and put him down only gives him a new target (my hands). So, the "removing myself from the drama" thing I see said often online doesn't seem to make much sense if he's just going to keep biting as I walk or not let go.

When a pup is persistent, you need to physically prevent the biting by saying "no" and taking hold of the pup and removing him from his target. Probably he will resist. Restrain him until he quits, then release him. Rinse, repeat. His mother would likely pin him down and growl in his face. Be like Mom. Let him know it is unacceptable.

• @eeeefarm said in Rogue is biting.:

His mother would likely pin him down and growl in his face. Be like Mom. Let him know it is unacceptable.

Growling is often a very effective way of getting something across - especially to a very young puppy.

Suggested Topics