Photos of Rowdy at Play with Blue Dog

• Hi everyone, I've finally taken some photos of my new rescue Basenji, Rowdy. I hope they turn out for you. Blue Dog is his favorite toy, but may not last much longer…
    attachment_t_1598_0_rowdyyellow.jpg
    attachment_t_1598_1_rowdybedjune407.jpg
    attachment_t_1598_2_rowdytoygoodone.jpg

• Here is Rowdy looking like he's trying to tell me, "I'm really very obedient and good, and as you can see I'm also very very cute, aren't I?"
    attachment_p_15614_0_rowdybedportrait.jpg

• Those are ADORABLE! I love the toy!

• @JeepJeep:

Here is Rowdy looking like he's trying to tell me, "I'm really very obedient and good, and as you can see I'm also very very cute, aren't I?"

Awww! Rowdy is super cute!

• @JeepJeep:

Hi everyone, I've finally taken some photos of my new rescue Basenji, Rowdy. I hope they turn out for you. Blue Dog is his favorite toy, but may not last much longer…

These are all great pics. He's looking spoiled already! I wonder how long the blue toy is going to last!?! 😃

• Thanks all. I am more and more at ease with Rowdy as I let him go loose in the house more. At first I tied him to the coffee table or held the leash so he would follow me around. But today I've been letting him be loose with Jenny, and for the most part he has behaved. I have my squirt bottle ready if he goes either for the trash area or the cat box area, but he is being quite good. He likes to sleep! He went back to the bedroom to his little bed this afternoon for a nap on his own. I still don't think I'll let him the run of the house if I am gone, but he's easier than at first seemed possible.

He also was apparently crate trained in the mysterious past of his last four years. He goes right into the big crate I bought and eats his meals in there. So when the weather is bad and I need to leave for town, he can stay in the crate easily, I HOPE!

Thanks everyone for encouraging my friend and me about adopting Rowdy. See you, Debbie

• That is great…. sounds like he is fitting right in... but beware... the honeymoon will be over soon and he will like any well respecting Basenji, test the water... so be ready...ggggg

• Yes, I am on guard. Just the look on his face seems to portend evil events…^..^

• very nice pics. He seems to be getting settled.

• Awwww he's absolutely adorable!! My two are not allowed to run around the house. They are allowed in the room that I am in only. Just in case they want to get into any mischief. If I'm in the kitchen they are too & I close off the rest of the house (YES we have a house full of baby gates :eek: 😃 lol) but this works for us to make sure they stay gooooood basenjis 😃

• Congratulations on Rowdy!! He is adoreable. My basenji mix loves to play on the bed too!!

• Awww how cute!!

• We got a puppy recently and got a blue dog just like that. She loves it and our two 6 year Basenjis do too.

• My friend and I loved that commercial on tv with the doxie who loves his doxie toy like the blue dog toy, so my friend bought one for Rowdy. I imagine there are lots of long stuffed toy doggies out there being played with by many different breeds and mutts! So cute.

That's a good idea about having basenjis in the room you are in only. Our house is small and has an open type design in living room/kitchen area where we are most of the day. I guess I should close off the bedrooms.

Rowdy has discovered that the afternoon sunshine comes in by the patio door and he likes to lie on the carpet there in front of the door. My husband had to push him to move so he could go outside, and Rowdy got upset and growled. I hope that doesn't mean something serious?

• Some (most) Basenjis don't like being interrupted when resting. Growling is typical. I think the best way teach Rowdy to move is to have a treat of value in hand and teach a "move" command. Make sure Rowdy smells the treat and when he moves for it, treat and praise. That "move" or "off" command will be handy for when he hogs the sofa and/or bed too. 🙂 The trick is to be consistent with the treat-praises so you know he understands what the command means.

• That's typical..cranky basenji talk. They protest & it's normal but not acceptable. So I do the same thing Jill says. We teach our dogs what we want them to do using positive methods like FOOD. What basenji can resist food!

• Congratulations! Rowdy is a cutie. I know you will feel blessed every day you get to have Rowdy in your life and you will soon be wondering how you got by without him.

We had a toy similar to your blue dog, it didn't last very long before it was destuffed.

• Rowdy doesn't want to go outside. He dances just out of my hand's reach when I go to grab his collar. He thinks we are playing, while I'm getting more irritated! Even a treat doesn't tempt him. Grrr.

• So walk out on him…just walk out of the house & leave him behind. He'll coming running to the door looking for you.

• I agree. It sounds like he is playing. They hate to be alone. But be patient. Walk outside have a seat and turn your back to him. He will come out in time.

Suggested Topics