before he\she comes
  • M

Dear Friends,

in most of the dogs' sites, Basejgi is described in the group of 'good in staying alone' or something like that.
    Here, I have read some horror stories, what happens when he is left alone. Stories of eating the Sofa, the doors and the walls and the floor. For making some mess, I am ok with. But damaging the furniture and or the house (it a rented house, in Germany)... well, I will be happy if it does not happen.

As for me, I will need every day to be leaving the house. In 'return' i will provide jogging, playing in the park (2 minutes away) and a lot of attention.

I would be happy to get you general opinion if I will be able (after the training period and in stages) to do it?

Thanks, Yours,

Meir

• Wow, not sure where you read okay staying alone. In a crate, sure. Loose... don't bet on it. Some of course can (my current basenji, yes. Previous 2.. no.).

http://basenji.20m.com/ReasonsNottoGet.htm

One of my favorite pages of quotes about basenjis (and yes the chow/rottie owner quote is about me)

http://indiannationsbasenjiclub.com/index.php?p=1_3_About-Basenjis

"Are basenjis intelligent? Yes, but not in the way you might first think. If basenjis were high school students, they would not be the brainiacs who score high enough on their SATs to go to Harvard on a full scholarship. No, basenjis would be the hoodlums with the smarts to bypass security, break into the principal's office, steal a copy of the test, and sell it for cigarette money." ~ Robin Simmons<<

last edited by DebraDownSouth
  • All five of the Basenjis I have owned were O.K. alone for a few hours. I never asked them to deal with all day long, and although I dispensed with the crate as soon as possible, I did restrict access to various rooms with some of my dogs. My last boy had the run of the house, and except for a few hiccups early on, he was totally reliable, but I know he wasn't "average". I would say if you can limit the "alone time" to four hours at a stretch your prospects of success are greater once your dog is an adult, but don't expect too much of a puppy! And too much crate time can create all sorts of problems, so have a plan to give your dog a good midday break if you work all day. Dog walkers or daycare can help a lot.

• "Are basenjis intelligent? Yes, but not in the way you might first think. If basenjis were high school students, they would not be the brainiacs who score high enough on their SATs to go to Harvard on a full scholarship. No, basenjis would be the hoodlums with the smarts to bypass security, break into the principal's office, steal a copy of the test, and sell it for cigarette money." ~ Robin Simmons<<

I agree absolutely with this comment.

• M

@eeeefarm said in before he\she comes:

All five of the Basenjis I have owned were O.K. alone for a few hours. I never asked them to deal with all day long, and although I dispensed with the crate as soon as possible, I did restrict access to various rooms with some of my dogs. My last boy had the run of the house, and except for a few hiccups early on, he was totally reliable, but I know he wasn't "average". I would say if you can limit the "alone time" to four hours at a stretch your prospects of success are greater once your dog is an adult, but don't expect too much of a puppy! And too much crate time can create all sorts of problems, so have a plan to give your dog a good midday break if you work all day. Dog walkers or daycare can help a lot.

Thanks a lot!
    I only need to deal with few hours alone. Half a day max. And sometimes, to take him with me to the university coffee house. We will sit together, writing and sleeping (i will do the sleeping)

• M

@wizard
    Thanks! That's is why i like them. Just want to make sure they will not eat my piano when i am not at home/

Views