Skip to content

Fostering a pup that looks like Basenji

Member Introductions

Suggested Topics

  • Is my pup Basenji mixed?

    Member Introductions
    7
    0 Votes
    7 Posts
    3k Views
    tanzaT
    @elbrant - Better place to see what a Basenji looks like is on the BCOA site, www.basenji.org and go to https://basenji.org/index.php/shop/books-cd-s-illustrated-standard/illustrated-standard. You can review on line
  • Basenji Mom

    Member Introductions
    7
    7 Votes
    7 Posts
    4k Views
    A
    Hi Mom, All of your babies are fantastic
  • Basenji or not ????

    Member Introductions
    7
    0 Votes
    7 Posts
    5k Views
    DebraDownSouthD
    I have to go read your link, but having been called to the shelter to see a chow that was an overweigh pomeranian, a rottweiler that was a lovely hound dog (Rottie rescue in FL told me keep quiet, they knew it wasn't a rottie but had a good home so just get it. I expected a LITTLE Rottweiler looking... bahahaha, no.)... vets who thought our basenjis were so many other things, not much surprises me.
  • New basenji foster mom

    Member Introductions
    31
    0 Votes
    31 Posts
    16k Views
    DebraDownSouthD
    Okay, marrow bones. I used to always give but had one very aggressive chewer. The vet showed me the actual cracks in her teeth! The other dogs were fine, btw. But every once in a while, shine a flashlight on the teeth and look for cracks. I check their teeth, but I never saw the cracks til she put actual light on them.
  • 0 Votes
    32 Posts
    16k Views
    nomrbddgsN
    Humane is a double edged sword IMO. Yes, they do help dogs, but there are problems with the agency as well. There are many breeds that would now be extinct except for breeders who had the dedication to keep the breed alive. Basenji's would never be known in the world except for dedication of someone who decided to take them from Africa. The Chinook was saved from extinction in 1981 with 11 breedable dogs! So breeders have their place, and definitely the humane has it's place. I don't discount them, there are just two sides to the story. Of course this is MO only!
  • Between Basenjis

    Member Introductions
    8
    0 Votes
    8 Posts
    6k Views
    nala121498N
    I'm sorry for the loss of your dear Basenjis. Losing a pet is so difficult. I hope this site helps you through the transition. Welcome.