Skip to content

Puppy training at night

Basenji Training
  • Hi!

    Puppy season has begun :) We brought our 8-week old puppy home on Saturday and she's an absolutely perfect puppy during the day. She interacts well with us, has taken to taking naps between my two boys. She goes partly on the pee pee pad and outside when we take her out (we live in Canada and it's cold, she shivers and whimpers when shés outside more than 2 minutes).

    At night though it's another story. We have her in her crate on the ground floor ( we sleep on the first floor) and she spends the majority of her time crying, yelling, scratching her crate. Needless to say we are all pretty tired :)

    She has a large 36 inch crate and the breeder recommended we set it up with a sleeping area and a pee pee pad so we don't go see her at night at all.
    Last night she pooed on the pee pee pad and probably spent all night walking around in it by the state of her paws and the cage.
    So now I wonder if we should keep on doing that and we will eventually wear her down(sleeping in her crate is non-négociable) or if I should make her crate smaller, remove the pee pee pas and take her out when she cries... I worry she will keep on crying not to be alone...

    Thoughts? Experience to share?

    Thanks!

  • When we brought our pup home, I slept beside the crate several nights, so she could see, hear and smell me. The first night she cried, the second she was OK. We took her out when needed so she wouldn't soil her crate. I think being with her at night will help her make the transition from being close to her mother and siblings all the time to being alone at night.

  • Sleeping crate should be in the same room you sleep in... Cover the crate at night, keep it close to you, so that if she starts to whimper, you can stick your fingers in the crate and assure her that all is OK. I don't and never did believe in a puppy pad in the crate.... in fact I don't use puppy pads or newspaper at all. I litter box train them.... should be easy to do with her at this young age. Also, I think that 8wks is way to early to have sent her home where she is now an only dog.....

  • The rule of thumb I was taught is that a puppy can only wait an amount of time equal to their age in months plus one. So, at eight weeks old (two months), your pup can hold it three hours tops (1 month + 1 month + 1). You should probably schedule a couple of potty visits outside during the night, even though it will be a pain.

    When we got Cosette, my wife and set a timer for three hours and three hours beyond that. We took turns taking her outside. At twelve weeks old, we were able to lengthen the time between breaks to 4 hours, then 5 hours at sixteen weeks, etc. It's tough, but it will keep your home (and her crate) clean!

Suggested Topics

  • Puppy Kindergarden

    Basenji Training
    6
    0 Votes
    6 Posts
    5k Views
    MacPackM
    Way back when, Topper was the 'demo dog' for his puppy and adult classes, he would always do the new things, but get annoyed if the instructor kept asking him to do it again. "Hey Lady, I know what I'm doing, no need to repeat it!" Nicky became the demo dog for agility as she is fearless and loves heights. She did like to make the teeter-totter slam to the floor, and jump off grinning. Basenjis ARE smart and seem to excel at all sorts of classes as long as it's fun for them. Have fun with Kismet!
  • Alone training

    Basenji Training
    71
    0 Votes
    71 Posts
    49k Views
    AnetteA
    Just curious - have you tested the drug yet? How is it working? I take it you can read norwegian as you live her. If you want to, I can email you som info I got after a session with Gry L?berg regarding my Giants seperation anxiety, it has a training program in it, and some general info.
  • Show Training

    Basenji Training
    2
    0 Votes
    2 Posts
    3k Views
    tanzaT
    Have you tried to contact anyone in the Tucson Kennel Club? http://www.azdogs.com/tkc/ They don't have much of a website, but do have email addys for the President and Secretary. There are likely other kennel clubs in the area also
  • Training classes?

    Basenji Training
    17
    0 Votes
    17 Posts
    10k Views
    NemoN
    @tanza: I think you are waiting too long. You should have two complete sets of shots before class. Waiting till they are 15/16wks you are missing critical socialization skills. Waiting for "all the shots" is pretty much old school these days. My pups go out even before that to things like lure trials… you just need to be careful and not let them "get" into anything like "old poop" laying around. I'm planning on taking her around the time of the 2nd shots if I can. But the problem is that the next round of puppy classes doesn't start till the last week of March, which would be around 14 weeks anyway. Maybe they will let me join the last half of the previous class but I'd have to check into that.
  • Clicker training

    Basenji Training
    3
    0 Votes
    3 Posts
    4k Views
    lvossL
    Edward, Positive reinforcement methods like clicker training work wonderfully with basenjis. All four of my basenjis are clicker trained. I guess you could even consider Sophie to have started before birth since I was clicker training her mom while she was pregnant with the litter. The purpose of the clicker is to mark the behavior that you want so you could also just use a word like "yes" or "Yay" or "good dog" followed by a treat. I use clicker training to train a variety of behaviors such as sit, down, attention, name response, stay, stand, go to mat, front, point, hand targeting, and the list goes on. I also use it in agility training.
  • A night with Bandit

    Basenji Training
    14
    0 Votes
    14 Posts
    9k Views
    ChaseandZahrasmomC
    Angee, You are so right about the good feeling you get when you wake up to those happy wagging tails. When my husband is deployed it really makes waking up in the morning bareable! It is great when I get home from work too. I dropped them off at a kennel today because we are going on a few days vacation before my husband deploys, we are leaving tomorrow but dropped them off today so we could get some running around done. It is so quiet sitting here right now without them. I don't think I could handle this house alone without the dogs! Jenn