Soooo anxious waiting for my puppy to be born!!

• @Nancy-Berry It is harder to place an older dog, but in many ways far easier to match. A puppy you have a good indication as a young puppy, but you don't really KNOW until they are older. With an older dog, the personality is set, so if you have a dog with high prey drive, for example... placing with other small animals/cats might not be a good risk unless the new owner is experienced. Rescues ... there's the rub. They come in and most shelters and rescues hold only long enough to vet and try to place. Others, like Pam Hamilton with Camp Basenji, holds them a couple of months pr more, so the "honeymoon" period is over and you start seeing the real dog. Owner surrenders often cannot be trusted for reliable info. People who have a dog with serious problems often don't reveal it. If the did, it would make it easier. So holding onto it for a while helps.

And yes @OmegaTandy ... any time someone tells me the breeder just let them pick their puppy, a warning bell goes off. Oh I get 2nd pick blah blah blah means this is a puppymill or backyard breeder. You can bet that a good breeder has some special homes lined up for the pics of the litter. Even those homes aren't just picked for showing .. they want the puppy to be a good fit.

I will add... that above isn't always true. Some rare breed dogs, especially giant breeds like Scottish Deerhound 😞 , will give up show prospects to pet homes because finding enough homes is HARD and they'd rather place a spectacular pup as a pet than not find a home. But those aren't the norm.

And laughing over sharp teeth. Their teeth FEEL no sharper than regular puppies, but the usual SQUEAK that stops other breeds only encourages these little monsters. Also, I believe they have razor blades that pop out of their gums, hidden only until they want to cut through a leash.

Suggested Topics