Looking to try one of these....

• 1.Nature's Logic Canine Turkey Meal Feast

2.Carna4 Hand Crafted Dog Food

3.ACANA Grasslands Regional Formula Grain-Free Dry Dog Food

so- currently they are eating grain free blue buffalo- but i really want to take them out of that, i know it maybe a little late in the game ( they are 7)- but i think its for the best health wise.
    in their whole life span ive changed it once , they started with taste of the wild ,then to blue buffalo....
    Vet says they are fine- but i want to start feeding them healthier.

has anyone tried any of these 3 brands with their basenjis?

• I have used ACANA, my guys seemed to do OK on it... but then I change up food every 3 to 4 weeks.

• I have been using Acana for several years with no issues. Both Chance and Kiya still like it. I put a little warm water with their food and fish oil.

• First Basenji's

The Nature's Logic and ACANA both get top ratings at dogfoodadvisor.com; the Carna4 gets a slightly lower rank, but still good. All score significantly higher than Blue Buffalo, so if you agree with that site's methodology, you should be good no matter what you choose. We feed Canidae grain-free dry (switching between different recipes every two months or so), and it's another top-rated option.

• I rotate my dogs food regularly.

1: high ratings, here's even a 20 percent off coupon: http://dogfood.guru/natures-logic/
    https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/natures-logic-dog-food-dry/

1. Carna4 ... good ratings https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/carna4-dog-food/

2. Acana is canadia. https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/acana-dog-food-grain-free/ Good review.

Blue buffalo is a good product too. But changing slowly to another brand won't hurt them.

• thank you folks!

great info there Debra.

went with Nature's Logic Canine Turkey Meal Feast (ordered from chewy) seems its an easier food to grab online.

ill keep you guys posted!

also have a question- anyone feeds their pups yogurt for treats sake? how often or what brand, and how?....

reguards!

• @funnybunny both Chance and Kiya like yogurt, but it does seem to give them gas, so I only feed it to them once a week mixed with their dry food.

• I use probiotics, which gives more healthy bacteria than a tub full of yogurt. Dogs don't really digest dairy often, so I don't give them yogurt for a treat. I do give them cheese sometimes. But if my dog loved it, might put a tablespoon ON their food.

I recently got these, both dogs love it... there are several flavors:
    Purina Beyond Meal Enhancement Dog Food Mixer - Natural Beef & BerryPuree

• Mine get a spoon full of yogurt every day, never had a problem with gas or digest..... all of my Basenjis loved yogurt... use plain, not flavored Greek

• Ive also been using Acana for a few years now. Its actually the only food that my dogs love. I also find it a lot easier to feed my dogs with an automatic feeder. If youre looking to get one for your dogs, get more information here.

• Banned

I've tried raw feeding and it burned a whole through my pockets. I might try it again. I know it would be so much healthier for my dog. I also recommend reading this blog [promotional link removed]

• @kimimiles said in Looking to try one of these....:

I've tried raw feeding and it burned a whole through my pockets

Make it fresh, yourself. I cook instead of going all raw, but you just need to do a little meal prep. It's so much more cost effective!

1. Gather an assortment of veggies from your produce dept, grocers freezer, or your garden. Small dice them or chop them up in your food processor.
    2. Stock up on proteins when they go on sale (chicken, beef, etc.). I cook about a pound, at a time, typically in my slow cooker. Let it cool down some after it's cooked, then you can shred, dice, or mince it. Forks or a hand mixer will shred the meat. I like my food processor for mincing. (Save the juices for the next step.)
    3. Mix the veggies, meat, and any drippings, together.
    4. Package portions out. Store 2-3 days worth in the fridge and the rest in the freezer.

If this is your pups primary food source, include one (1) plain Tums® each day to make sure they get enough calcium.
    Your dog can eat lots of different people foods, but try to pay attention, too much of anything could cause a problem. These articles can clarify things to avoid:

• 8 mos old is still on Royal Canine medium size puppy as recommended by vet. Very interested in how you change up their food. Glad to hear that because I would like to change him from chicken based to something else as adult. Had always been advised not to keep changing food as it was hard on their system. Breeder advised to use high protein and fat dog food (60% protein, 30% fat). What is your opinion on this? I am starting to add 1/2 tsp coconut oil daily to dog food for winter feeding. Advised it had ingredients similar to mother's milk. What say you about this?

Suggested Topics