Another crate peeing question.

• Try or you do make sure she has peed before leaving? People always think that dogs are smart enought to "do for spite"… I don't and have never believed that... she might be protesting the fact that you are leaving... but really, think about if... what would peeing in the crate prove, other then she then has to live in that spot.

• I agree I might be projecting onto the why… but.. I have had her go outside and about 30 min later she is crated... and she still
    has done something. So... this ain't about making sense... its a 5 month old puppy. Its never soaked... just a small amount.

• Could be a separation anxiety issue. Not unusual for them to pee or defecate if they are upset.

Do they "do it for spite"? Cats certainly do. And I don't think they are smarter than dogs. Maybe more vindictive! 🙂 I have had experiences with Basenjis that make me believe some do, but I would doubt it in a young pup. More likely she is starting to have issues with being left alone and the peeing is a symptom of anxiety. A video camera would tell you a lot! (is she upset when she does it or is she calm and deliberate?)

• If she is 5 months old and peeing just a little, please make sure the she doesn't have a UTI. Not uncommon for puppies especially when teething.

• I'm taking her in to get spayed tomorrow…... I definately have them test for this BEFORE they do any surgery... same for parasites.

• Not something they can test for (UTI), same day as doing a spay? And a bit early for a spay? I recommend no earlier than 6 months…

But also keep in mind that a 5 month old doesn't have total control over their bladders. Also, many a Basenji have had a set back during teething.

• First Basenji's

@tanza:

Not something they can test for (UTI), same day as doing a spay? And a bit early for a spay? I recommend no earlier than 6 months…

But also keep in mind that a 5 month old doesn't have total control over their bladders. Also, many a Basenji have had a set back during teething.

Oh, yes, agree with Tanza- too early for spay. Look up the pros and cons for your information and to discuss this with your DVM. She's just a little thing and since they usually don't totally empty their bladders, a dribble is not uncommon. but like you said, is there a why(?) distress possibly, uti possibly, and a youngster with little control very possibly. Hope it all works out soon for you.

• I agree with all… could be UTI (though she would likely also have a little wetness at night if that was it) and could be stress. You might try working on crating, go outside for 5 mins. Come back. 10 mins come back. Also joyful and treat. Make sure she has toys or a safe chew (like kong frozen with a little cream cheese or her canned food if she gets it... just make sure only slight amt so you don't make her sick). Work til you can get up to 30 mins and no wetness.

Also, spaying early has a lot of issues that people often don't hear from vets or even others. We have confused being responsible about not breeding pets and spay/neuter. Yes, rescues have little choice but early neutering because they should not place animals that are intact. But you can have choices. This is one of the best pro con lists by professional source I have seen:

http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongTermHealthEffectsOfSpayNeuterInDogs.pdf

• First Basenji's

@DebraDownSouth:

I agree with all… could be UTI (though she would likely also have a little wetness at night if that was it) and could be stress. You might try working on crating, go outside for 5 mins. Come back. 10 mins come back. Also joyful and treat. Make sure she has toys or a safe chew (like kong frozen with a little cream cheese or her canned food if she gets it... just make sure only slight amt so you don't make her sick). Work til you can get up to 30 mins and no wetness.

Also, spaying early has a lot of issues that people often don't hear from vets or even others. We have confused being responsible about not breeding pets and spay/neuter. Yes, rescues have little choice but early neutering because they should not place animals that are intact. But you can have choices. This is one of the best pro con lists by professional source I have seen:

http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongTermHealthEffectsOfSpayNeuterInDogs.pdf

wow, that is a lot of information that you do not ordinarily hear or read about in public documents! thanks Debra!

• Your welcome. I have seen so many people attacked for neutering or NOT neutering… I figure owners should be informed, do what is right for them and let others do the same.

I had one owner in my last litter, almost 16 yrs ago btw (Rottweilers) neuter her dog in spite of her contract and information. Yep, only one to get bone cancer, died at about 8. All the rest lived to 12 to 14... which is superb for Rotties.

• Think that spay/neuter is a personal decision… people should research the opinions... I don't mind spay/neuter at 7 or 8 months, nor do I mind people that really don't want to go through a season with a bitch.... can be a bit challenging... at 5 months, a bit to early for me... however, if you have a good Vet then I would be OK.... it is the "hacks" at shelters that bother me.. and cause urine leakage immediately or later in life.... when done at an early age.. many shelters use Vets that IMO are not great.. and should not be used for surgery.. they are young Vets that have not perfected the procedure... again IMO

• I can sympathize…..IMHO basenjis are the worst dogs to potty train and crate train. Both of my dogs had accidents in their crates as puppies, and one of them ended up having isolation anxiety that was fixed when I got a second dog. They have high maintenance personalities and I have yet to meet one (unlike golden retreivers) that could just be thrown in a crate at 8 weeks, spend 10+ hours in there and do that for the rest of their lives without complaint.... but it's either psychological or it's physical - UTIs are also fairly common. 5 months is pretty young and it could change overtime. If I were you I'd set up a web cam video recording and see what happens - just to see if there are some budding anxiety issues there (though at 5 months it could just be part of the process). I think it's telling when you say that she does fine overnight but not when you leave......

• I have never had a problem with potty training or crate training… so I disagree with your assessment. Might be true for your Basenjis, but not for mine or any of my pups that were placed. Potty training was the easiest.... Depends on the Basenji... each one is different...

Suggested Topics