Skip to content

New Study about Mixed breeds and Purebreeds

Basenji Health Issues & Questions
  • Seems like every decade or so, they do similar studies with similar outcomes and yet people still want to believe a mixed breed is healthier.

    And what I'd like to know is WHY it isn't logic to understand that a purebred dog from generations of healthy dogs, bred for health, bred to diminish genetic disorders, is more likely to be healthy than a dog from mixed parents from people who simply let it happen with no idea of health or genetics. European studies have shown what incredible differences it makes on things like CHD and other inherited disorders when you breed clear to clear, clear to effected, etc. With their massive research I wish they would go back and separate out the well bred/tested purebreds from those without health/dna clearances.

Suggested Topics

  • Rapamycin study

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    2
    2 Votes
    2 Posts
    2k Views
    Chelbell26C
    Interesting! I take rapamycin as an immunosuppressant medication following a bone marrow transplant (hope it helps me live longer! Lol)
  • Should I test a Basenji Mix?

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    11
    0 Votes
    11 Posts
    10k Views
    K
    Thank you for all your replies. I truely appreciate learning so much about everyone on this board. Unfortunately, I don't know what the parents of my pup is due to being a rescue dog. He was found in a garbage bin, then a shelter, then a rescue, then in my life!
  • New rabies virus in US

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    2
    0 Votes
    2 Posts
    2k Views
    etzbsederE
    That is scary, and I now have to worry as I'm in AZ now.
  • New lump young dog

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    12
    0 Votes
    12 Posts
    5k Views
    YodelDogsY
    This is good news. Hopefully she will be back to normal soon.
  • New Parvovirus Strain

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    7
    0 Votes
    7 Posts
    4k Views
    Ninabeana26N
    Well that's a lot more comforting. It figures something like this ends up being blown up….typical media crap. My big question when I first read the article was how someone had 600 puppies to lose in one night in the first place...
  • New Parvo Strain?

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    2
    0 Votes
    2 Posts
    2k Views
    BasenjiDivaB
    I googled and found this link about it. http://www.cvhs.okstate.edu/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=437&It (We've already established that I'm not the brightest crayon in the box when it comes to computer issues so I hope this link works!) Pat