• I just switched Ripley from ProPlan to Evo yesterday, and he's had diarrhea last night and all today. I was wondering if that was normal because he had a food switch? And if it is, how long does it normally happen? I put a little plain yogurt in with his meal this morning and it seemed to help some. Is there anything else I can do?

• In my experience it's always better to change foods gradually and not all at once. Sometimes the digestion doesn't cope with sudden changes. Can you get homeopathic 'China' - it usually clears up diarrhea.

• You should normally spend about 2-4 weeks changing slowly from one food to the next. The yogurt will help for now, but it should take about a week (or less) to adjust to the new food. You can continue yogurt if you want to, because it is good for them, but just a little bit.

• I usually mix the new kibble (1/4) with the old (3/4), then gradually keep adding the new over a few weeks. EVO is very rich, I have to still feed 3/4 regular Innova and 1/4 EVO or their stools are very mushy. I tried to go 100% EVO and had to back off, even with very gradual changeover.

• @taryn121:

I just switched Ripley from ProPlan to Evo yesterday, and he's had diarrhea last night and all today. I was wondering if that was normal because he had a food switch? And if it is, how long does it normally happen? I put a little plain yogurt in with his meal this morning and it seemed to help some. Is there anything else I can do?

It is usually recommended that you change foods slowly… over the course of at least 2 to 3 weeks... increasing the new food with the old with each feeding.

Suggested Topics