Skip to content

New rabies virus in US

Basenji Health Issues & Questions

Suggested Topics

  • MINNESOTA Rabies Vax Survey

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    3
    0 Votes
    3 Posts
    2k Views
    Kris_ChristineK
    MINNESOTA Board of Veterinary Medicine issues Rabies Vaccination Guidance Document 3/1/12 http://www.vetmed.state.mn.us/portals/22/RabiesVaccinationGuidanceDocument.pdf **"rabies vaccination certificate should always comply with Minnesota Rule 1705.1146, including displaying the date of vaccination and the rabies vaccine labeled duration of immunity, even if the veterinarian recommends more frequent rabies vaccination" A major victory for Minnesota pet owners thanks to Jane Anderson & Chris Addington, who, with assistance from The Rabies Challenge Fund, have prompted the Minnesota Board of Veterinary Medicine to publish a rabies vaccination guidance document in order to get veterinarians to follow the recommendations of the CDC's Rabies Compendium, to issue rabies certificates accurately reflecting the duration of immunity on the vaccine label, to obtain documented informed consent if administering rabies vaccines off-label, and to have "credible, scientifically-based information….in the possession of the veterinarian and available for review" if the veterinarian chooses to adopt a booster protocol other than that recommended in the Compendium. The Rabies Vaccination Survey Report can be viewed here: http://www.rabieschallengefund.org/images/stories/pdfs/rabies_vaccination_committee_survey_results.pdf**
  • Rabies Shots

    Pinned Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    51
    0 Votes
    51 Posts
    50k Views
    Kris_ChristineK
    @eeeefarm: I believe Benin is in West Africa. Rabies is endemic in Africa. Yes, I thought you must live outside the U.S. We at The Rabies Challenge Fund believe that all healthy dogs and cats should be vaccinated against rabies.
  • Old Dog, New Food ?

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    4
    0 Votes
    4 Posts
    3k Views
    tanzaT
    @Schouiffy: Hey Tanza, No she hasn't had much of anything done as of recent. My parents have had a really wild last 2 years so I think thats contributed to the lack of vet work. Happily, and thanks to Dan, we have an appointment set up for tomorrow morning with the vet. yay. And I'll restrain on the food front. I mean its not awful food, but there are a lot of grains… hmm. It's really kinda difficult to see them at this age, I think this last year as been a hard one for her too... Again.. at her age.. I go back to "if it ain't broke" don't try to fix it… I can tell you that is exactly what I would do... period.... and yes, there might be better.. but at her age... it is not going to make a difference.. again IMO
  • Rabies shots

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    9
    0 Votes
    9 Posts
    5k Views
    Shaye's MomS
    @tanza: Found this under Florida law on rabies (2) A dog or cat shall not be required to be vaccinated against rabies if a licensed veterinarian has examined the animal and has certified in writing that at such time vaccination would endanger the animal's health because of its age, infirmity, disability, illness, or other medical considerations. Such exempt animal shall be vaccinated against rabies as soon as its health permits. And it also seems in Florida, it can change from county to county on if required yearly or 3 yrs.. Good to know that about an animal with health issues - and yes, it does vary county to county. Hillsborough, where I live, requires it yearly.
  • New to Miami

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    3
    0 Votes
    3 Posts
    3k Views
    markusa59mnM
    Can't help with doc, but I was wondering if you have found a border that you trust. I'm probably coming down from Minnesota with my 3 year old next week and am looking for Fri, Sat stay. (19,20)
  • New Parvovirus Strain

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    7
    0 Votes
    7 Posts
    4k Views
    Ninabeana26N
    Well that's a lot more comforting. It figures something like this ends up being blown up….typical media crap. My big question when I first read the article was how someone had 600 puppies to lose in one night in the first place...