• I would like stories from people about adding a puppy to an established (2 year-old) neutered boy. Any stories about adding a pup to household welcome. Specific questions:

Butu can get a bit snarky with entire males. I am intending to show puppy, so will Butu be likely to be snarky with an entire male at home?

What are female seasons like? Are they noisy? Will Butu mate her? Will that upset a female? Will that upset Butu? All opinions etc., greatly welcomed!

• Rule of thumb is best to have male/female combo's. Neutered males can mate if they have a mind to…. we refer to it as safe "sex", but really best to try and keep them apart.... Bitches in season can be snarky (more then usual).... most have one season a year and it lasts 30 days. Not sure what you mean by "noisy"....

Butu may try and mate her, if she is not ready, there can be lots of snarking... but it is usually short lived (usually the male will get the message)... many neutered males never try, but they will sniff around the female.

If you get a male, not only do you have to worry about Butu being snarky or worse, but the new male if dominate will be just as snarky.

• Thank you, Pat! I guess by noisy, I am asking if they 'call', a la Siamese? I'm sure you would have mentioned it if they did…
    I must admit, I am very hesitant about having two boys, but I'm sure people have survived it....

• @QuizBasenji:

Thank you, Pat! I guess by noisy, I am asking if they 'call', a la Siamese? I'm sure you would have mentioned it if they did…
    I must admit, I am very hesitant about having two boys, but I'm sure people have survived it....

As they say "its works till it doesn't", having the same sex requires making sure that the temperaments on both boys compliment each other, here you would have to rely on the breeder to give you an honest opinion about the pups… because you need to be really careful that you don't wind up with the dominate pup from the litter if your boy is the dominate type.

And no, not "la Siamese"!.... at least mine are not. When I had intact males in the house and separated them from the girls, he did howl, however.

• My experience… It's the males that get noisy when females in heat are near...

• Thanks for the info….still pondering...there are hardly any litters available in this country (stares hungrily at pup pictures from around the world) so if I'm set on a girl, I might have to wait for a Spring litter. Before anybody asks, there are precisely two rescues available (including almost certainly Butu's brother, but he Hates Other Dogs), neither of which are suitable :-(.

• My neutered male hardly even noticed when my bitch was in season.

With any existing dog it's best to give them a enough time to adjust to a new dog/puppy in the house. So whatever sex you decide to get, slower is better when introducing them. Even with puppies depending on how your dog reacts.

Personally I would go with a female if I already had a male.

visit BCOA on Facebook. http://facebook.com/basenji.org

• I know a few breeders in Europe that have available puppies. you can try contacting one of them.
    One is Yvonne Adolfsson. www.facebook.com/yvonne.adolfsson. She has one girl available…
    Also Bushongo Basenjis... www.facebook.com/BushongoBasenjis
    Hanishan Basenjis. www.facebook.com/pages/Hanishan-Basenjit/35411746946
    Kardohills Basenjis. www.facebook.com/KardohillsBasenjis

Hope this helps…

• Thank you so much! With the DEFRA hoops that have to be jumped through for the UK, do any of these kennels have experience of exporting Bs?

• Im not sure what DEFRA is but I read somewhere that the quarantine and all that had been lifted in great Britain… Not sure.. Anyway, I'm not sure if they do.. But dogs are imported into Brittain all the time, especially show dogs, I don't think it would be tool difficult. cheers
    happy New Year!

Suggested Topics