Skip to content

Rice in Dog Food

Basenji Health Issues & Questions

Suggested Topics

  • Dry dog food

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    11
    0 Votes
    11 Posts
    9k Views
    Chealsie508C
    Oakley was on the Iams intestinal sensitivity formula because I tried taste of the wild ( of all kinds) and he was still having stool issues, combined with a puppy bout of giardia…he did well on it but I didn't feel good about the ingredients. From there I tried nature variety and he wasn't a fan. He has been sensative stool wise with many of the high quality foods so now we use Fromms and he is terrific. He loves all the varieties ( I mix two kinds at a time..one of their grain free versions with a grain version in order to get a reduced grain diet; stool issues if none or too much!) His weight is steady and his coat has never looked shinier, smoother of softer. Lastly, he loves the taste and I don't have to coax him to eat. I agree with not free feeding OR feeding from the same bowl. Since yours have issues (whether it's weight or sensitivity) knowing when they ate and controlling how much will allow you to better navigate around the health issues and possibly identify the cause of some as well!
  • Food Allergies Out of the Blue?

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    10
    0 Votes
    10 Posts
    7k Views
    D
    It might be a combination of food and seasonal allergies. The food/biscuits might be a slight problem but then added to the seasonal allergies, the allergies become major. Arnie has allergies and he rarely gets treats because of this and his kibble dog food is his treat. Does your dog also have a rash on his stomach area or the inner part of his rear legs? Arnie usually starts off with this and then if he is biting his feet I know the allergies are bad. He has not had this for a few years though! I would clean the area and this would help tremendously. Allergies are difficult to diagnose. The allergy season here in OH has been extended because of the crazy weather. If you have leaves on the ground that are/were wet, there could be mold, fungi, etc. on them and your dog is getting it on his paws. Jennifer
  • How dogs drink

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    5
    0 Votes
    5 Posts
    5k Views
    bewlerB
    Also - does anyone else's Basenji drink in threes? When Cody drinks he goes "lap, lap, lap, pause, Lap, lap, lap". For some reason this just cracks me up. Maybe because he's so consistent. Or maybe I need to get our more! LOL!
  • YOU Are Your Dog?s Advocate!

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    7
    0 Votes
    7 Posts
    4k Views
    S
    After the first few years of shots, I do the titers…no more shots except rabies by law Otherwise, they don't get them.
  • Vision in dogs

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    4
    0 Votes
    4 Posts
    3k Views
    AJs HumanA
    Very cool….thank you for this. Makes me want to look for more information on it. Speaking of the chase, AJ almost got a groundhog yesterday... Fortunately, that groundhog was smarter than AJ and hid under a storage container. I would imagine that had AJ been off lead, I'd still be trying to get him out from under there. :D
  • Retching food

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    11
    0 Votes
    11 Posts
    7k Views
    nala121498N
    The poor baby! ((Hugs)) to you both. I will keep Cairo in my thoughts and prayers that an alternative treatment or solution can be found.