Skip to content

Food for the finicky

Basenji Health Issues & Questions
  • Pippin gave up dog food completely a few weeks ago. Kibble, canned, etc– it is just disgusting to him. I have been making the pitcairn's renal failure diet for him, and I can share that recipe if anyone wants it, but also found today that he WILL eat freezedried diet by Prairie and will also eat the frozen medallions by Nature's Variety, which is very helpful because I occasionally run out of the homemade and this stuff will do in a pinch.

    I thought maybe others would liek to share what they feed a finicky dog, brands, types, recipes they have tried?

    At first, when he had his recent downturn, he would eat ONLY pizza and only if I shredded it and hand fed him. Not the healthiest choice and probably not very good for his little kidneys but he was at 19 pounds and I was desperate to get food into him. Since I started the homemmade diet and we tweaked his medicines, he has regained six pounds. So, has anyone else got ideas for the finiscky dogs among us?

Suggested Topics

  • High calorie food suggestions

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    30
    0 Votes
    30 Posts
    11k Views
    elbrantE
    @beth314 I use the VetIQ MultiVitamin. WalMart sells it in the pet section and online. Sam's Club used to have it, they may in your area, but my local Sam's took it off the shelf.
  • Kidney disease… food?

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    29
    0 Votes
    29 Posts
    26k Views
    DebraDownSouthD
    Thank you all.
  • Rice in Dog Food

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    3
    0 Votes
    3 Posts
    3k Views
    BarklessdogB
    I heard in the news that arsenic can be linked to certain types of cancer. Still if there are high concentrations of arsenic in rice, it does not makes sense to feed it to your dog everyday. http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2012/09/arsenic-and-rice-yes-again/?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews
  • Homemade food?

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    3
    0 Votes
    3 Posts
    3k Views
    ibi_n_saneI
    i have no recepies, i make my own dog food most of the time as well and it is quite easy: cooked rice or cooked noodles ( I prefer noodles as that has more energy for my dogs ) then you add raw beef , mince, chicken, liver, kidneys , lamb whatever kind of meat, or fish ! and if you wish you can also add some mashed veggies and/ or herbs. By the way I only give noodles in the winter when they can use a bit more energy / fat. otherwise I mainly feed them raw and also bones and fresh tripe etc. But I guess that is not what you meant ;)
  • Basenji and food problem suggestions

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    12
    0 Votes
    12 Posts
    8k Views
    starcentralS
    I will continue this topic in the FOOD FORUMS since likely this is not a health issue at this time: http://www.basenjiforums.com/showthread.php?t=7726&page=2 Thank you everyone for you comments, I am new here, and new to Basenji's so all the help is appreciated. The longer I keep little Benji confined, the more destruction he starts doing to the laundry room! :D
  • Need Advice on Different Types of Food

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    19
    0 Votes
    19 Posts
    10k Views
    QuercusQ
    @TuckerVA: The wings are cooked in "Wingaling". I think they are pressure cooked, or something, to the point of being completely soft, yes? Those would probably be okay…... the problem occurs with baking and grilling, etc because it makes the bones brittle and more likely to splinter than raw, or cooked to mush.