In need of a little assistance

• How do you respond when he does this? And how often is it happening? Any particular circumstance? You might want to leave a short leash on him so that you can immediately take control of him, hopefully when you "see it coming", not after the fact. I concur that you need outside help with this….

• I could be wrong but it doesn't sound malicious but it does sound like he has no bite inhibition or that he knows when it is appropriate or not to play bite, I agree that if you can't come uP with some super disciplined rules about how to teach him and corrections to use while teaching him then a behaviorist will work to implement these techniques. Since its escalating it's important you correct 100% of the time he exhibits this behavior and be 100% consistent in the household an with guests on training

• I agree that it is really important that you find someone at this point to help you with this. I have looked up a few places for you to get in contact with and see if they might suit. These three are all in the Eau Claire area and all offer private lessons. I do not know about their training philosophy so that is something you will have to look into. I am not trying to endorse any of these, but I am hoping to give you a place to start in your area. If you have a local kennel club in the area you can also contact them and ask for recommendations ( I think the Indianhead Kennel Club might be in your area http://www.indianheadkennelclub.org/).

http://www.abctc.com/

http://www.rudedogu.com/rdu/index.html

http://embarkdog.com/

I also agree with the poster that mentioned that it sounds like he has a problem with bit inhibition.

Has he ever broken skin? How are you currently responding when he does this? How are you correcting him?

Be very careful not to correct him in a way that might escalate or compound his problem…the suggestion of spraying him with something like mint spray is probably not the way to go.

I really do think you should get an experienced trainer/behaviorist to assist you with this. It can most likely be fixed with training...but the wrong approach could also make it much worse. Since we here have to rely only on your description of his behavior and never actually get to observe him our ability to help is limited. 🙂

• I suggest having a complete thyroid test done.

Jennifer

• Hi again, I wrote about my training my 5 year old, she took till she was 2 and a half to really start listening, although she knew the basics and was quite good. I would love to have a boy to go with her as I am told that frequently a female will not be happy with another girl. Though there is also a risk integrating ANY other Basenji to another, I think my girl would love the company. I am in Michigan outside Detroit but would drive most of the way if you'd consider meeting me somewhere. Perhaps we could at least discuss it, a new home must be as carefully chosen as the original choice of a Basenji….I hope you will not allow him to go with whomever has the cash. I hope to hear from you, my e-mail is dedavis321@yahoo.com (Dave)

• @DAVE&PIPET:

Hi again, I wrote about my training my 5 year old, she took till she was 2 and a half to really start listening, although she knew the basics and was quite good. I would love to have a boy to go with her as I am told that frequently a female will not be happy with another girl. Though there is also a risk integrating ANY other Basenji to another, I think my girl would love the company. I am in Michigan outside Detroit but would drive most of the way if you'd consider meeting me somewhere. Perhaps we could at least discuss it, a new home must be as carefully chosen as the original choice of a Basenji….I hope you will not allow him to go with whomever has the cash. I hope to hear from you, my e-mail is dedavis321@yahoo.com (Dave)

Did you also respond to their Craigslist add? Just in case they do not come here and check this thread?

• Yes, I did in fact send the same note through Craigs list….wish me luck! THANKS! Dave & Pipet

• @DAVE&PIPET:

Yes, I did in fact send the same note through Craigs list….wish me luck! THANKS! Dave & Pipet

Good luck…

It really sounds like he needs a basenji savvy home 🙂

Keep us updated... I would really like to know if he gets a good home.

• I just don't feel its fair for the dog. Im not simply sellinghim and am not giving him to anybody

• @Enigmatic:

I just don't feel its fair for the dog. Im not simply sellinghim and am not giving him to anybody

No one was trying to say anything negative… We know you have been struggling with him. I think Dave is really interested in potentially giving your Diesel a home 🙂

• I feel so bad but he needs a more experienced owner.

• @Enigmatic:

I feel so bad but he needs a more experienced owner.

It happens to the best of people. Basenjis are not the easiest breed… At least you realize that you are not the right home.

If you want to find a good home you can also talk to the people with BRAT and place him in breed rescue. Also contact the poster that has expressed and interest in him. Maybe he can find a home with someone here 🙂

• Ill Def do that.

• I have already gotten a few upbeat e-mails from them and I hope that this is an adoption I can facilitate as my experience is solid and deep, my knowledge is as well and my 5 year old has shown herself to be wanting some company. I am reading up on the addition of a Male to a Female Alpha home and all the stuff it entails. I am disabled and home all the time, I have huge yards, a fenced in park right nest door to me where Pipet runs off lead and is very well trained for coming, and all the proper commands I would work to teach Diesel as well. I figure he is still 2 year's away from even considering a moment off lead….but in loo of those transitions (which all Basenji's clearly do not possess the talent to reach - I have been lucky with Pip), I will hope to have the joyous experience of training this youngster to be a great adult Basenji!!

I will keep you up to date on any developments! Keep your input coming, I value ALL Basenji Owner's experiences in expanding my home and my heart for another one of these miraculous beasties!

@Moth:

Good luck…

It really sounds like he needs a basenji savvy home 🙂

Keep us updated... I would really like to know if he gets a good home.

• Dave, it sounds like you might be the best situation for this dog. Lets hope you can get things done quickly.

• Believe me, we Basenji owner's who are further along are only too aware of the many challenges these hyper-intelligent dog's give us to deal with on a daily and or momentary basis. The games, personality and craftiness they possess would be a challenge to the most experienced dog professional. But then there is us crazy types who fit so well with the Basenji personality that they fill a void we did not even know was in our lives. Pipet has taught me far more than I have taught her. She has given me a level of patience and appreciation of her sense of humor that defies every other animal experience I have ever had…. from my pure bred Siamese Cats and a top bred Doberman to a couple of Golden Retriever's in my youth, I have only through Pipet, learned to be a real companion and fully tuned in person in terms of the man/dog dynamic.

As to a recommendation you have received to go through BRAT, I would only say that I have had an experience with them that was, for a lack of an in depth description...unpleasant.....though I would never doubt the care afforded to the dog's by there people all over the country.

Anyway, don't feel bad, Diesel is young and if he so fortunate to end up in my home (or one like it) and my detailed and nearly 24/7 attentions and focused training, he will find many joyous distractions and great company with both Pipet and me.

@Enigmatic:

I feel so bad but he needs a more experienced owner.

• @DAVE&PIPET:

I have already gotten a few upbeat e-mails from them and I hope that this is an adoption I can facilitate as my experience is solid and deep, my knowledge is as well and my 5 year old has shown herself to be wanting some company. I am reading up on the addition of a Male to a Female Alpha home and all the stuff it entails. I am disabled and home all the time, I have huge yards, a fenced in park right nest door to me where Pipet runs off lead and is very well trained for coming, and all the proper commands I would work to teach Diesel as well. I figure he is still 2 year's away from even considering a moment off lead….but in loo of those transitions (which all Basenji's clearly do not possess the talent to reach - I have been lucky with Pip), I will hope to have the joyous experience of training this youngster to be a great adult Basenji!!

I will keep you up to date on any developments! Keep your input coming, I value ALL Basenji Owner's experiences in expanding my home and my heart for another one of these miraculous beasties!

I hope this works out for you and for Diesel 🙂

• im sure it will 🙂

Suggested Topics