Skip to content

How to spot a well conformed Basenji during the puppy stage…

Member Introductions

Suggested Topics

  • 3 Votes
    20 Posts
    7k Views
    T
    Judging from what being said. I would say things are on hold until next year! But Good Luck All The Same x
  • Basenji mix?

    Member Introductions
    7
    1 Votes
    7 Posts
    4k Views
    ZandeZ
    @allyn said in Basenji mix?: Meanwhile I know that like a Basenji, he should never be off leash, and we always need to make sure the gate is securely shut, I have had Basenjis for a long, long time now. I have always let them run off lead in the woods away from traffic. They have all been taught - and I have had up to eight at a time although am now down to one, soon to be two (!) - to return to me if I whistle. Basenjis CAN be taught to run free and to obey commands. Yes, gates should be kept shut, tightly, at all times. But away from traffic, they can be trained to behave and allowed to run free. I have bought a puppy sling for my new boy so I can take him to the woods with Hoover, and let him meet lots of people and thoroughly socialise until he has had his shots. I don't intend to deprive Hoover of her freedom just because of the puppy. He will learn to walk on a leash but mostly he'll be the hunter nature intended him to be.
  • 0 Votes
    9 Posts
    6k Views
    R
    Everyone meet Klassic's Trixie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We drove the 3.5 hours from Pittsburgh to pick up Trixie from Sue (Klassic Basenji's in Marion, OH). It was a very long day with 7 hours of driving to and from, but the ride home was much better than the ride there, except for the part where Trixie peed on my friend that went with me to pick her up! Trixie seems to be adjusting well so far, we are about 50/50 with going potty outside. Trying to learn her body language as to when she needs to go out! She is a stubborn thing on the leash and that will need much work as well! So happy to have her here! She loves our kitty Pinkie, and our miniature pinscher, Zombie. Zombie is more interested in stealing the puppies belonging's and claiming them for her own. [image: attachment_p_163420_0_trixie-1.jpg] [image: attachment_p_163420_1_trixie-2.jpg] [image: attachment_p_163420_2_trixie-and-zombie.jpg]
  • My Basenjis

    Member Introductions
    9
    0 Votes
    9 Posts
    5k Views
    P
    As mine age I try to keep a bit of weight on them because I know they may reach a stage when they just don't keep weight as the organs weaken.
  • New about to Get a Basenji Puppy of my Own

    Member Introductions
    61
    0 Votes
    61 Posts
    35k Views
    cuttiepie732C
    I understand completely. Thank you so much for your advice. I have a couple weeks… If he is Fanconi clear, or carrier I will be happy. He wont have it... Also the parents pedigree... I will decide soon, but if you guys want I can still send pictures... she has been sending me pics of him getting older... Thanks again you guys.
  • Basenji puppy on the way!

    Member Introductions
    17
    0 Votes
    17 Posts
    9k Views
    AmberedA
    fender has lots of taji dogs in his pedigree! i have seen katie at shows, her dogs are beautiful Especially the black and whites!!!!! :) lucky you