• First Basenji's

Kong is about 3 1/2 months old. I have been feeding him 3 times a day. I normally come home at lunch time to feed him. I have been doing 7am, 1pm, and 7pm. I love being able to come home at lunch time for some puppy love but some days at work are really busy. I'm wondering if the 3x a day feeding schedule is necessary. Should I continue on this schedule or if I can modify it to 7am, 5pm, 8pm or drop down to twice a day.
    I am feeding him a total of about 1 1/4 cup.
    He has been great about potty training and doesn't have crate accidents but I also don't know if his little bladder could go 8 hours. I wouldn't make it a habit but there are about 2 days a week at work that I would love to be able to work through lunch.
    Opinions?

• I feed 3x's a day until they are 4 1/2 months or well into teething. And even when I go to 2 feeding, they still get a "snack" of cookies 1/2 way between those feeding times.

8 hours is pushing the limit at 3 1/2 months, IMO. And many have a bit of regression during teething. I would suggest that after he is 6 months, 8 hours would not be too much of a strain.

• First Basenji's

Thank you for the reply. I will wait before I try it then. I can always get a dog walker for a day or two if work gets to busy.

• I totally agree with Tanza. Personally I find that at approximately 4 to 5 months they start to show lack of interest in the 3rd feed - it is then I cut down.

I appreciate that you are anxious to work through your lunch hour but if I were you i'd wait a little. Kongo is still a baby.

Suggested Topics