Breeding and Fanconi (Moved from GiGi Thread)

• @lvoss:

Fanconi has been observed in basenjis world wide in a variety of environmental settings.

Specifically in Africa? Among "village dogs"?

@lvoss:

breeding an affected female could have health implications that are not an issue for males.

O.K. that makes sense to me. Thanks for the clarification. Do we know whether breeding affects onset of the disease? Any statistical differences between affected intact females and spayed females? So many questions, I know. But many human and critter diseases aren't completely black & white in the expected expression of the phenotype. And as I speculated before, there is sometimes a related benefit to a perceived deficit. Sickle cell & malaria is one of the better known examples. Could there possibly be some linked survival advantage in being a Fanconi carrier? (as opposed to an affected, obviously).

• I believe that Dr. Johnson stated in his presentation at the National in WI that determining how the gene is expressed is a focus of the next part of his Fanconi research…

I personally know of a 12 year old male tested as affected with the original linkage test with blood sample who has shown no symptoms yet. And while I don't know of any studies showing the effect of breeding, I can say that 2 of my affected girls had no symptoms until after they were bred. One was bred at age 6, was diagnosed at 7 1/2, the other was bred twice and the Fanconi was diagnosed a few months after her second litter.

Jo Thompson, maybe you could chime in on the 'village dogs' with possible Fanconi?

Terry

• I think it is difficult to say about Fanconi in Africa because they are not tested. Also, the symptoms may not be noticed as readily and depending on average lifespan, there may not be a significant decrease in life expectancy.

• @lvoss:

I think it is difficult to say about Fanconi in Africa because they are not tested. Also, the symptoms may not be noticed as readily and depending on average lifespan, there may not be a significant decrease in life expectancy.

That's what I wonder about. Do they develop Fanconi, and if so at what age? Is some other trait that is advantageous in Africa (but not necessarily here) linked to the same gene in some way? (e.g. maybe the greatest hunters are also positive for Fanconi? And usually die in hunting accidents before developing it?) It would be really interesting, now that DNA testing is available, to get DNA samples from a random bunch of village dogs and see what the occurrence of the gene is in the Basenji's native land. Is it widely distributed throughout the population, or does it tend to accompany other traits we might have selected for in our imports?

• @lvoss:

Why breed affected males and not affected females? Pregnancy is very taxing on the body so breeding an affected female could have health implications that are not an issue for males.

Amen Lisa…........................ and many males have been collected... I would never put a possible Fanconi affilicted bitch through whelping a litter..my opinion

• @lvoss:

I think it is difficult to say about Fanconi in Africa because they are not tested. Also, the symptoms may not be noticed as readily and depending on average lifespan, there may not be a significant decrease in life expectancy.

Totally Agree….

• Something else to throw into the pot– did anyone notice the breed registration statistics from AKC?

BREED.......2011.....2010....2006....2001
    Basenjis---- 93----- 89 ----- 84 ------ 71

Are there that many less being bred or just more of others? Or many moved to the fake puppymill registries?

While a part of me of course thinks it would be good to not breed any dog who carries much less is affected, it isn't like we have huge numbers and a minor issue affecting a small enough portion it wouldn't make horrific impact on the breed to do so. My next question is that I don't understand why it would be bad to breed an affected male with 100 percent certainty of the pups being carriers, but okay to breed a carrier male with possible 50 percent. If that 50 percent is okay, then so is the 100 percent. They don't HAVE Fanconi and with the gene test, no reason to create any. Am I missing some objection to it (and obviously not put stress on a bitch, that I get)? Everyone here seems to agree it's okay, but what do those against use as a reason?

• There are still some who feel that producing anything less than a Clear would be going backwards so breeding a litter with no chance of Clear puppies is just wrong. For many of those people they also frown on Carrier x Clear breedings and sort of look down at those who choose to do them. It is best for the breed for breeders to use all the tools they have at their disposal to breed healthy dogs and to use a variety of the dogs available rather than everyone breeding to a select few flavor of the month stud dogs. If some choose to only do Clear to Clear breedings that is their choice but they should not force that choice on everyone else nor make those who choose differently feel like they are doing something wrong.

• I noticed a large trend toward non AKC registries at the dog auctions around 2003. The majority of dogs I saw prior to that and in older catalogs-were usually double registered, AKC registration with APRI. After 2003 I saw many dogs with only the non AKC registrations including APRI, ACA, and UABR. APRI always had a table at every SW Kennel Auction in MO. In OH and nearby states CKC-Continental Kennel Club was popular. The Amish in OH have a different registry that I saw advertised at a table at a dog auction several years ago. I do not know if they are using it though.

For those breeders who are only testing for Fanconi-shame on them! I have rescued more dogs with eye problems then I have that have tested affected for Fanconi!

Jennifer

• Yes, Jennifer, I agree about other health issues, especially eyes!

Suggested Topics