Skip to content

Basenji rescued from pond in Colorado!!

Basenji Talk
  • WESTMINSTER, Colo. – Firefighters rescued a dog from an icy pond in Westminster on Thursday afternoon.
    The fire department was called after the small dog fell into the water at about 2:30 p.m. at Faversham Park on 73rd Avenue.
    The B shift from Westminster Fire Station #1 donned ice rescue gear, slid out on the ice and got the dog, according to spokeswoman Diana Allen.

    Allen said the dog's owner took the pup home to dry it off and warm it up.
    The owner of the dog contacted 7NEWS and said the dog is a 4-year-old basenji named Bello. The owner said Bello was in a walking harness on a leash when he ran after some ducks on the pond and the leash snapped. She added that Bello had never been on ice before and he slid into the water when he couldn't stop in time.
    Westminster Fire issued a reminder that it is important to keep your dog on a leash and never go out on the ice yourself to save your pet.

    http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/30318616/detail.html

    So glad the pup was saved. That is SO scary!!

  • Awww Poor baby. The two things basenji's hate most, cold and water. So glad it had a good ending and I hope he's none the worse for wear.

  • Oh, wow, I'm glad the rescuers were so quick! That water had to have been freezing!

    It's always so nice to have a story with a happy ending.

  • So glad the rescuers were able to get him out!

  • Thanks heavens for the folks who will do this rescue for an animal in need.

Suggested Topics

  • Brat Rescue and Transport; How they really treat rescues

    Basenji Talk
    177
    0 Votes
    177 Posts
    116k Views
    elbrantE
    @helle-devi I notified BRAT shortly after "Heather" started the rant. I was concerned about several points (administering/adjusting med dosage without Vet approval/advice, ignoring Vet advice, and on and on). They called an emergency board meeting and took prompt action. Unfortunately, legal processes take time. All the while, Heather continued her rant. And more astonishing details were revealed. By the time Heather sent her first (wall of text itself) post, BRAT had already sent Heather an email explaining that they were reclaiming "Declan". Indicating that BRAT was already aware that things had gotten out of hand. I think Heather was a good "foster Mom" when she first started doing it. But something ... somewhere along the line ... started unraveling for her. I don't wish her any ill will. I do hope that she finds her way back. But I still think removing Declan from her home was "for the best". sigh (note: I do not know if Declan is still with her or not, Heather might have actually signed that agreement, but I doubt it.)
  • Basenji

    Basenji Talk
    4
    -1 Votes
    4 Posts
    10k Views
    D
    Where I am it costs about $2K+ for a dog from a breeder for just about any breed. Goldens may be less because the litters are so large. That may seem like a lot, but, as Debra mentions, dogs cost money to care for. After vet bills and boarding fees and food, it matters little what the dog cost to acquire. Leaving true puppy mills out of the discussion, given the costs of being a responsible breeder -- testing, vet bills, feeding -- and how much work breeding is, I can't imagine anyone doing it for the money. That leads to two problems for people looking for dogs. One is that since breeding isn't really lucrative, there aren't a ton of breeders, which means the supply of pups is low. Second is that most Basenji breeders want to place their pups in the best possible homes -- remember they aren't doing it for the money -- which means they're looking for people who have had Basenjis before. Something of a Catch-22.
  • A basenji

    Basenji Talk
    19
    0 Votes
    19 Posts
    21k Views
    Chealsie508C
    There's nothing like a basenji in the works, from the way they instinctively lay with their had on the bum looking the other way ( I've never met a B that doesn't) to the way you KNOW they all rub on wet towels or play bow…it's all very endearing and in this breed you often identify traits that they all have, an insight into their genetics and their behaviors. I've never enjoyed a breed so much.
  • Basenjis are -

    Basenji Talk
    3
    0 Votes
    3 Posts
    7k Views
    QuercusQ
    ooohhh…so true!!! Good observation!
  • "A Tired Basenji Is A Happy Basenji"

    Basenji Talk
    20
    0 Votes
    20 Posts
    23k Views
    WeLuvBasenjisW
    I have found that if I take my B to doggie daycare (even if it's only for half a day), she is ehausted when I bring her home. She will let me do the dishes without any basenji help! She also tends to treat our doggie friends a little nicer when they come around. Having a worn out basenji is deifinitely worth the $15!!
  • Basenji-mix does search and rescue

    Basenji Talk
    2
    0 Votes
    2 Posts
    2k Views
    AmberedA
    "We believe he's Basenji and Jack Russell. Actually, I think he's perfect for a disaster work because he can crawl into anything. He can climb on anything. He's like part dog, part cat and part monkey. He can go anywhere. It's amazing. Dogs know how to find things with their nose, naturally." i had always heard part dog, part cat, but throw monkey in there, hahaha. what a wonderful story, jessi.