• My Taz has to be touching me in some way most of the time. He likes to get up in the recliner with me. He always sits there even when I am not in it. If I don't let him up in the chair with me he sits at my feet staring at me and whining. He will try to jump up and get up in my personal space and stand on me (I know this is a dominate act) so I don't allow that to happen. If he gets up in the chair he has to lay beside me now and not on top of me. Is this something I should stop doing or is it ok to let him be a lap dog?

• Kipawa also has to be touching me in some way. I love the bond we have. And yes, he is also a lap dog. But he moves from place to place - my lap, against me on the couch, my lap, against me on the couch…. I love every second of it, even when his full 27 lbs. of firm muscle is plunked down on me. 🙂

• Watson likes to try and sit in laps. He often is at least partially in my lap and leaning toward me to receive attention and petting. I do not see anything wrong with him wanting to sit with me or my boyfriend that way. He actually loves to sit in the BFs lap while the BF is working on the computer.

• Basenjis are great lap dogs…. Personally I have never considered it an act of dominance unless when asked to move or get off they growl or fuss.... then they are "dumped" quickly to the floor and have to earn the right to come back up....

• No, he doesn't fuss when moved. He does tend to want to mouth a little when being moved but I think it's only in play. He thinks I am playing with him when I try to move him over or even off the chair. I have started to just make him get down until I get comfortable then he can get back up. He knows that he is not allowed on my lap when I am eating, so he either sits at my feet or moves to the couch until I am done eating.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

• Most of mine have been "leaners". They sit beside me and lean against me, rather than in my lap, although they seem to like sitting right on my husband. Guess he is more comfortable than I am to sit upon. In bed, they always seem to want physical contact, no matter how bloody hot it is. Not so bad on a cold winter's night, but annoying when it is blazing hot in summer and we don't have A/C. I've never had one argue about being moved, but they tend to inch their way back as soon as I'm not paying attention. 🙂

• I also love the bond that we have as well. It is totally different than the bond that I have with Levi, my golden retriever. I have had Levi since he was 8 weeks old and I know that he and I have a very special kind of bond, but it is so different than what I have developed with Taz in just the short time since I adopted him. He is such an amazing dog. There isn't a day that goes by that I am truly amazed by him. He is smart, funny and frustrating all wrapped up in one amazing package. I don't think I could ever do without him now.

• @eeeefarm:

Most of mine have been "leaners". They sit beside me and lean against me, rather than in my lap, although they seem to like sitting right on my husband. Guess he is more comfortable than I am to sit upon. In bed, they always seem to want physical contact, no matter how bloody hot it is. Not so bad on a cold winter's night, but annoying when it is blazing hot in summer and we don't have A/C. I've never had one argue about being moved, but they tend to inch their way back as soon as I'm not paying attention. 🙂

Yes, Taz is a leaner as well. Again, I thought this was just him, but I see that it is a Basenji trait. Good to know that he is not just a weird dog. Though that is still true, he is a very strange dog, but the whole breed is a strange breed.

• Both of my B's are lap dogs. Well unless I have a fire in the wood stove, then they like to lay on their bed in front of it. But yes they do love to be in constant contact and snuggle right up to you. Both of them at night have to be either touching either me or my husband, if not both. Usually one has their little feet jammed in someones back and their back against the other person.

• Our boys too are lap dogs and leaners.
    They just have to be close to me and I love it, it is not always easy but it's so worth it 🙂
    Right now, I am sitting for the laptop, with my legs pushed to eachother because I am afraid that if I relax my legs, Buana will fall off my lap 😃
    They love to put their heads on my lap or on my shoulder..

• On the couch Gossy either justs sits on my lap or curls up next to me; on the recliner she prefers directly in my lap.
    On the other hand, if I'm on the couch in the evening Teddy will slowly climb up onto my lap as if he thinks I won't notice then he'll curl up leaning against my chest and go to sleep! If Gossy is already in my lap, he'll try to squeeze in between 🙂

Suggested Topics