Skip to content

Home Alone *basenji style*

Basenji Talk
  • Last time I left arwen she destroyed nothing but peed on my bed. :(

  • Ok here are some pics finally of Tucker and Beccas mission of home alone…..basenji style...
    attachment_p_148444_0_oct-24-2011-170sml.jpg
    attachment_p_148444_1_oct-24-2011-168sml.jpg

  • @krunzer:

    Ok here are some pics finally of Tucker and Beccas mission of home alone…..basenji style...

    Yikes! It's always that foam/stuffing that they like. Same thing at our house - anything with that stuffing in it is like candy to a kid! So we don't buy those types of toys anymore. They just don't last and Kipawa refuses to clean up his mess when he is done with them. :)

  • Sad to say that was not a toy though…..that was a couch cushion!

  • We're very fortunate- our B., Mojo, doesn't tear anything up! Except his stuffed toys. If we leave his toys out, he pulls out all the stuffing!!!!

  • @krunzer:

    Sad to say that was not a toy though…..that was a couch cushion!

    Not to them - a toy it was :D

  • Oakley is hit or miss… He is mainly crated because he can be good Until he's bad, and web he is bad it is really bad! Just when you think it's safe he proves that it's better he is crated. One time he broke into my pantry and opened two boxes of hard pasta and ripped up a whole box of tea. My area rugs were covered with broken shells and for weeks after ( no matter that I steam cleaned my rugs) when it got hot out my house smelt like green tea! I have pictures, you can't even see the carpet!

  • The joys of living with a Basneji!!!

  • I have a suspition that Basenji's and Shiba Inu's have the same 'destroy furniture gene', between our B's, Mr Baroo & Bitty and our 14yo Shiba they have almost destroyed our sofa and love seat in the LR. Sable, our Shiba, one Saturday when we were bead showing, industriously tore all the upholstrey from the arm of the sofa, leaving the wooden and fiber board form.

  • I ended up getting some Bitter Apple spray and that has so far deterred them from trying to eat it again. Now if I could only get a jug of it for when I try to load the dishwasher…...

Suggested Topics

  • Basenji for me or not ?

    Moved Basenji Talk
    7
    0 Votes
    7 Posts
    8k Views
    ZandeZ
    @planetsaver said in Basenji for me or not ?: Will be a problem to leave him alone, let's say 10 days / month an average of 9 hours a day. Also I do not want to have to much trouble with the neighbours, but I understand he can make some noise sometimes, maybe he can be trained to stay alone and not to bark that much. Why would you even think about training a hunting hound to stay home alone ? I would never let my Basenjis alone for more than 4 hours, and even that is very rare. 3 hours is absolute maximum. Like @tanza, I have sold puppies into apartment environments as long as all other boxes ticked positive. Someone there all the time, proper attention to training, not just leaving the dog alone, especially not as a puppy. btw, he won't bark at all. As you would know if you had really researched the breed. He will cry and scream but not bark ! No. At least you are asking questions but I really think you should find another breed.
  • Is she a basenji ?

    Basenji Talk
    50
    4 Votes
    50 Posts
    29k Views
    KembeK
    Looks can be so deceiving- here is an article of a woman who adopted a rescue dog in N.J. Dog looks like a basenji - even her vet thought it might be basenji. She did an Embark DNA test - no basenji. Turned out the dog was a mixture of Mountain Cur, Rat Terrier, Beagle, and Boston Terrier. link text
  • basenji leaving alone?

    Basenji Talk
    17
    0 Votes
    17 Posts
    7k Views
    ZandeZ
    As I have said before, I work on the principle that I am bigger than they are and it is MY house. Make a tremendous song and dance about unimportant misdeamours and pretend to ignore the serious infringements. Then when the pack wants to punish me they do something which they know will get them the most attention - screaming and tears from me. But a bored Basenji will tend to destruction if there is nothing else to do. It needs plenty to hold its interest. Toys, bones, a companion.
  • basenji

    Basenji Talk
    4
    0 Votes
    4 Posts
    9k Views
    ZandeZ
    Last I heard, the Breed Club secretaries had more people waiting or wanting pups than were available . You could get on a list for a Basenji next winter but I very much doubt you will find one still unsold. Go to the website of the BCGB, or the Northern Basenji Society as you are in the North and you will find email addresses of the secretaries. They will put you in touch with breeders who may be planning a litter for puppies to become ready to leave the nest in about a year's time. Its a long wait I know, but you have most probably missed the boat for now. You are welcome to post me privately. Good luck!
  • Home Alone

    Basenji Talk
    9
    0 Votes
    9 Posts
    5k Views
    luzmery928L
    long weekend, maybe well charge the camera and see what goes on.
  • Happy Valentine's Day (basenji style)

    Basenji Talk
    7
    0 Votes
    7 Posts
    4k Views
    B
    Hi all you Northeasterners :) I too am HATING this weather…lots of snow, ice pellets, ice, slippery sidewalks & the darn rock salt!! UUGHHH Some of us like snow…....:rolleyes: I'm with you J.......UUGHH:mad: Happy V-Day J!;)