Wow Sharon, sorry to read this. Bee stings are scary. Brando was stung (didn't see it happen and had no idea it had happened) earlier this summer while was was walking him and he went into anaphylaxis. He dropped to the ground about a quarter mile from my house. I picked him up (figuring it was an allergic reaction to something) and ran like h3ll to my house. Ran upstairs with him and when I opened his mouth to give him a benadryl his mouth was completely white (including tongue) inside. I gave him the benadryl and honestly when he swallowed hard I thought he might be taking his last breath. Thankfully within about 5 minutes he started to come around. Every walk we do with him now we carry benadryl. My vet also gave me injectable benadryl for him instead if an Epi pen. Scary, scary.
Not to drag the thread too much off topic, but anaphylaxis has to be one of the scariest things. I was at the vet's to pick something up one day, and a woman had just left with her dog. She came back in and asked for paper towel, which was given to her. I walked out with her, and she said her dog had just vomited in the car. I asked if the dog had had any treatment, and she replied "vaccinations". I said "Bring him back in" and ran back to tell the vet. In the meantime, the dog had collapsed and there were some tense moments while they worked on him. Good idea not to leave immediately after having shots given! The owner didn't know what she was looking at…...and I was very glad I had asked her why she needed the paper towels.
Sharon, I am so glad this ended well for you, and I think it is a valuable wake up call for those of us who might not have thought about the possibility of a bee or hornet sting while hiking. I know up until now I mostly worried about skunks, porcupines, and coyotes!
I can relate to the whole stung by wasps. Tucker and I were at a dog show and in the campsite he was tied up with a cable and tried to go into the bush to go to the potty. Well he came out screaming, like ony a basenji can, and he was yellow with wasps!!! My husband grabbed him and wiped the wasps off of him and someone from across the campsite yelled out to come get some Benadryl for him. He got bit this summer by some ants or mosquitoes or something and had a fairly bad reaction to them as well..he would welt up and get a pimple-like blister. So off to the grocery store I go to find some benadryl again…...they had Cinnamon or Bubblegum......I took the bubblegum...he didn't like it too much but I think it would have been much better than the cinnamon!
Sorry for the late update. Cody was find the second day..i was stung much more then he was and thank heavens, didn't have a reaction. i was so worried about the old boy, i woke up every 2 hrs to check his face to see he wasn't getting puffy.
Glad to report, we are both doing well. Cody got 3 stings, i think I counted 11. Glad we are both tough! laugh.
That sounds like a scarey experience, so glad things have turned out ok. Thats a good tip re the benedryl.
I had an afghan hound once that swelled up and looked like a bloodhound! He had lumps all along his back too, the vet thought that it was a reaction to a sting, we never did know what caused it, it didn't ever happen again.