• Hi- we just moved in with our first Basenji, a good looking black and white boy. We started in dogs with Great Danes 35 years ago, we have down sized our house, our income and our workout so it was time to get a dog that was a size I could live.

We live in northern Vermont and the trees willl start to change color in about 2 weeks (really).

I would love to get some input on how to handle these little guys in sub zero weather, we get a lot of it, any tips on feeding schedules and exercise would be appreciated, he has already staked out his position by the wood stove.

GB1951

• Welcome 🙂

You have come to the right place for basenji knowledge.

• @gb1951:

I would love to get some input on how to handle these little guys in sub zero weather, we get a lot of it, any tips on feeding schedules and exercise would be appreciated, he has already staked out his position by the wood stove.

You might want to invest in some footwear! It gets very cold where I live and some days my guy can't really stay out long enough to do his business without boots! These are "muttluks", which I find work very well….

• Where did you get those boots… very stylin' and it gets cold here too.... but hard to imagine it now. been over 100 for about 3 weeks now...

• @jonny:

Where did you get those boots… very stylin' and it gets cold here too.... but hard to imagine it now. been over 100 for about 3 weeks now...

They are a Canadian product, but available in the States as well….

http://www.muttluks.com/home.php

I find them easy to use and they generally stay on, unlike some boots I have tried. The closure is Velcro, so it's easy to get a good fit. The reflective tape makes it easy to spot your dog in the dark, too! 😉

• Welcome - we are very lucky not to have your extreme temperatures.

• Those muttlucks look wonderful! There are lots of good websites that will show jackets and fleeces for your B. I wouldn't think feeding needs to change when it gets really cold unless he spends lots of time outdoors - some basenjis actually love the snow, so they say, although mine would not. Once the plows come through and you have running or walking room, his exercise doesn't have to suffer either. I lived in Vermont for a few years and our dogs (not basenjis then) managed just fine, both the longhaired ones and the sleek great dane. Basenjis have a lot less body weight, though, so a good warm fleece or fleece lined jacket would be in order. It gets real obvious when they're cold - they stop moving, shiver a lot, and try to get picked up! Of course mine does that at 55 degrees.

Suggested Topics