Considering adopting a 3 year old Brindle

• I'm seriously considering buying a Basenji that both parents are probable carriers of Fanconi by DNA. I went through the nightmare of watching my first Basenji succumb to Fanconis early in 2004. This dog was bred by a very reputable breeder and the same goes for the Sire/Dam. What do you guys think the chances are that this one will come down with the Disease? I do know that he is a probable carrier by DNA. I don't want to subject myself or my kids to another heart break, Thanks for any advice!

• @Wingate:

I do know that he is a probable carrier by DNA. I don't want to subject myself or my kids to another heart break, Thanks for any advice!

The Fanconi DNA test is not 100%. There is always a small chance that results may get mixed up with another dog or that the dog may have an anomoly that makes it difficult to read. Other than that, the results seem to be pretty accurate. The probability of a carrier developing Fanconi is very, very low. I would not be stressed about it but if you decide it isn't something that you are willing to risk I would recommend adopting a dog who has multiple generations of "clears" behind it.

• @Wingate:

I'm seriously considering buying a Basenji that both parents are probable carriers of Fanconi by DNA. I went through the nightmare of watching my first Basenji succumb to Fanconis early in 2004. This dog was bred by a very reputable breeder and the same goes for the Sire/Dam. What do you guys think the chances are that this one will come down with the Disease? I do know that he is a probable carrier by DNA. I don't want to subject myself or my kids to another heart break, Thanks for any advice!

As noted the test is a linkage tests and there have been errors in a few of the results. But a Carrier should not develop Fanconi. That said you should still stripe test monthly for life.

One question, was this Basenji born in 2008? Which would have been over a year after the DNA Linkage test was available? If so, were the sire and dam not tested before breeding? It doesn't seem that if responsible that a breeder would have bred a Carrier to a Carrier if they would have known?

• I responded to this on your other thread (btw, please don't post the same thing in multiple threads). Unless this is a puppy, the breeders are not "responsible" even if well known, to have bred 2 carriers and risked puppies having Fanconi on purpose. Please find a responsible bred dog.

Is the dog itself tested or the breeder just ASSUMES it is probable carrier since the parents are? Why risk the tests being wrong when you have so much better chance when at least one parent is probable clear?

• He is closer to 4 years old. His parents were bred in 2007 before the test was availible. He has been DNA tested as probable carrier

• @Wingate:

He is closer to 4 years old. His parents were bred in 2007 before the test was availible. He has been DNA tested as probable carrier

Thanks for clearing that up. Good to know…

• Then go with your heart. If both parents are probable carriers and he is too, the test is fairly accurate barring testing mistakes. I'd feel pretty confident about it, but if I had a choice, I have to be honest and say I'd look for a clear/carrier to up the odds. That's just me–have had such massive health issues and vet expenses the last 4 yrs I am simply gun shy.

• Thanks so much for the friendly advice, we had a chance to spend some time with him this weekend and he has a wonderful personality and disposition. It turns out he has been tested twice and both times the result was the same (probable carrier). We decided to take him, and we'll get him at the end of August after he gets "fixed". we are very excited and can't wait to bring him home. Thanks again to everyone, your advice has really helped! I'll post some photos next month

• Can't wait for the photos. Bless you for taking him and giving him a wonderful home. Your heart is good.

• Great you are getting the B. All love and care you have he will be fine. Bless you for giving this baby a home.

Rita Jean

• Congrats! I would still urine strip test him monthly for glucose.

Jennifer

Suggested Topics