• Hello, I am considering rescuing a Basenji. I am concerned about a few things, because I really like this breed, but I don't want a mismatch.

I live alone in a medium sized apartment, which is very pet friendly, plenty of places to walk and explore for the dog, and walking and exercise is not a problem at all. What I am concerned about is leaving the dog at home while I am at work. I am sure I don't want a pup, which helps, but I know from researching that Basenjis need to be active. I plan on taking the dog out for long walks a few times a day (for my exercise too) and I think the dog will get plenty of time out and about when I am home. Other than work during the day I have plenty of time to be with my pet.

I am a long time dog owner, and grew up taking on most of the dog training in my household. I have also helped rescue dogs before.

Does the work day prove to be a certain mismatch with a Basenji?

• @DennisH:

Hello, I am considering rescuing a Basenji. I am concerned about a few things, because I really like this breed, but I don't want a mismatch.

I live alone in a medium sized apartment, which is very pet friendly, plenty of places to walk and explore for the dog, and walking and exercise is not a problem at all. What I am concerned about is leaving the dog at home while I am at work. I am sure I don't want a pup, which helps, but I know from researching that Basenjis need to be active. I plan on taking the dog out for long walks a few times a day (for my exercise too) and I think the dog will get plenty of time out and about when I am home. Other than work during the day I have plenty of time to be with my pet.

I am a long time dog owner, and grew up taking on most of the dog training in my household. I have also helped rescue dogs before.

Does the work day prove to be a certain mismatch with a Basenji?

I don't think it does… and I would bet that 90% of us on this list works.... And honestly, 99% of the time when you are at work, your dog/Basenji sleeps... So as long as you are planning exercise daily, you should do just fine... also there are a number of people on the list that live in apartments too... and do just fine with their B's

• I'm not working right now, but I go to school, live in a small apartment, and have trouble getting outside exercise in the winter, but my Basenji seems to love it here just fine. Luckily I will be moving to a larger house in a warmer climate with a yard in a few months.

Being that you are experienced with rescues and training, you shouldn't really have any trouble at all with a rescue. There is probably a local basenji rescue, or club with rescue contacts, otherwise there is BRAT which is national. You should be able to find plenty of help, information, and advice through this forum.

• I've got just under 1000sqft for my Basenji in my Condo. Granted the layout is far more open than most floor plans, he has plenty of room to run around. Like others have said, they usually sleep during the day while you are away, but every dog has a different personality. My B doesn't seem to have any severe separation anxiety and is not house destructive. Thus making the situation very easy.

I find that my Basenji gets more exercise with my building layout because everytime he needs to go outside he gets a solid 5-10 minute walk. Most dog owners simply let their dog go in their yard and they come right back in. Something to keep in mind. There are a lot of dogs in my building (hi-rise) and they all seem to get a long very well. The social atmosphere is simply fantastic for these dogs. A lot more dog owners a close proximity than you'd get in a suburban neighborhood.

My B has made a lot of friends just in the last couple months. I love seeing that smile on his face after he's had the chance to meet a new friend.

• Rescue has some wonderful b to rehome, also, check with your local basenji breed club.
    They can share basenji info, share playdays and lurecouring they might be doing..

Suggested Topics