• Has anyone had a B with Cushings? I am interested in Atypical Cushings. My Missy was recently diagnosed with this. She had a complete blood panel sent to the Univ. of TN. since the other Cushings tests were inconclusive. She had the puffy stomach as a symptom though. She is taking Melatonin for it. She has Fanconi Syndrome, sluggish gallbladder and hypothyroidism. She is 12 1/2 years old.

Jennifer

• @dcmclcm4:

Has anyone had a B with Cushings? I am interested in Atypical Cushings. My Missy was recently diagnosed with this. She had a complete blood panel sent to the Univ. of TN. since the other Cushings tests were inconclusive. She had the puffy stomach as a symptom though. She is taking Melatonin for it. She has Fanconi Syndrome, sluggish gallbladder and hypothyroidism. She is 12 1/2 years old.

Jennifer

What medical effect does the Melatonin have on Missy? I take Melatonin as a natural sleep aid.

• Here is the test information that Missy had done and an article with the portion that includes Melatonin for treatment. I have inlcuded the webpage for the entire article. She has not been on the Melatonin long and I am slowly increasing her dosage but she is definitely not as puffy in the intestinal area as she was.

The Adrenal Panel with Combined Dex Supp/ACTH Stim Test for Dogs:

The following hormones are tested in the adrenal panel: Cortisol, Estradiol, Androstenedione, 17-Hydroxyprogesterone, Progesterone and Aldosterone.

REVIEW ARTICLES
    Steroid Profiles in the Diagnosis of Canine Adrenal Disorders
    Jack W. Oliver, Proceedings 25th ACVIM Forum, Pp. 471-473, Seattle, WA. 2007.

http://www.vet.utk.edu/diagnostic/endocrinology/pdf/Steroids%20Profiles%20in%20the%20Diagnosis%20of%20.doc

Melatonin. Results of in vitro cell culture (human H295R adrenocortical carcinoma cells) studies in our lab55 revealed that both 21-hydroxylase and aromatase enzymes were inhibited by melatonin. Also, in dogs with adrenal disease that are treated with melatonin, and repeat adrenal steroid panels are done, cortisol levels are consistently reduced, and estradiol levels are variably reduced.29 Inhibition of the 21-hydroxylase enzyme would lower cortisol levels, and inhibition of the aromatase enzyme would lower estradiol levels. Estradiol levels were decreased in a prior study of dogs treated with melatonin.31 Results of in vitro studies with human MCF-7 breast cancer cells also revealed that melatonin inhibited aromatase enzyme, which resulted in reduced estradiol levels.56 Melatonin treatment for cases of mild adrenal disease in dogs may be effective, and particularly in cases where sex steroids are increased.

Jennifer

Suggested Topics