Skip to content

Early detection of Kidney Disease

Basenji Health Issues & Questions

Suggested Topics

  • Rare clotting disease

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    14
    0 Votes
    14 Posts
    5k Views
    N
    I am SO sorry for what you and your sweet boy went through. My heart broke just reading it. I know he could feel your love and knew you were doing everything to take good care of him. God bless you and your Cassius.
  • 0 Votes
    17 Posts
    6k Views
    senjisillyS
    One of my Basenjis is also diagnosed with early kidney disease. The vet prescribed Enalapril Maleate (generic for Vasotec). My vet allowed me to choose whatever prescription food I wanted to use. After some research I chose Blue Buffalo BLUE Natural Veterinary Diet KS Kidney Support. I looked into and tried a more holistic food, Dr. Harvey's - a dehydrated food, but Kushika couldn't manage to eat it without getting it all over the walls, kitchen floor, and herself so we went back to the kibble. I liked the Dr. Harvey food AND you can call to talk to Dr. Harvey, who asked me to send Kushika's lab results to him so he could make specific recommendations dependent on those results. Kushika came to live with us at almost 10 years old and was immediately diagnosed with kidney disease. At age 12+ she is still with us, going strong and looking better than when she arrived.
  • Spay Early or Spay Later

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    15
    0 Votes
    15 Posts
    22k Views
    senjisillyS
    @mryltis Read this comment from @morgansc within this post dated May 30, 2019, 7:49 AM. It answers your question. Ideally it is best to wait until age 24 months but no early than 18 months. https://basenjiforums.com/post/177284
  • Kidney disease… food?

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    29
    0 Votes
    29 Posts
    26k Views
    DebraDownSouthD
    Thank you all.
  • Kidney Issues

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    8
    0 Votes
    8 Posts
    6k Views
    tanzaT
    You know, at his age (and in my opinion) any elder dog, the goal is to get them to eat and keep them eating… so I don't stress out about kcal's too much particularly since I use Vit Supplements.
  • Disease

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    11
    0 Votes
    11 Posts
    6k Views
    Ninabeana26N
    Yea my vet told me that during our last appointment. He said not to let Dallas sniff other dogs poop no matter where we are because the poop can contain diseases. I see poop all around our community because people don't pick it up after their dogs but Dallas [so far] never really gets too near ti that I have to pull him away.