• @ Tanza:

I thought that even if you had that test, you still had to do monthly checks. Am I incorrect? Cody is my first B so I am new to all of this.
    And thanks to everyone for your help!!!

• If the test comes back carrier or clear, there is no testing required as your dog won’t get it. Also, I think 18 moths is a little early to test anyway as Fanconi wouldn’t develop that soon. It is great that you’re vigilant in trying to do the best for you dog though. Keep learning and having fun.

• @bewler:

@ Tanza:

I thought that even if you had that test, you still had to do monthly checks. Am I incorrect? Cody is my first B so I am new to all of this.
    And thanks to everyone for your help!!!

Nope, if the test comes back Clear or Carrier, then you should not have to test, also if you do have to test, recommended is usually 2 1/2 to 3yrs old

• Thanks so much Michael & Pat!

I can do the DNA test now, at 18 months, correct?

I did read that you don't need to strip test until 2 years old, but I remember reading somewhere that there have been cases of Basenji's getting it earlier. I think I may be an over-protective Basenji mom! LOL! I hope this box of Diastix will keep - I think i ordered a jumbo box - yikes!

I really appreciate your taking the time to answer my questions - as Michael said, I Am trying to do the best for my little guy. I might a little over-zealous, though! 🙂

• They can be tested at 4wks, so yes he can be tested now… it is just a cheek swab that you order at www.offa.org (and for more info on the test and fanconi www.basenjihealth.org)

The box will come with an expiration date, but if opened, they will only last about six months.

• This is why I love this board - you guys are SO helpful! THANKS!!!!

• It has been a while since I have been on here but I would like to correct some of the advice given here.

If your dog has tested as a CARRIER, and has come from untested dogs, or ANY breeding that could produce an AFFECTED, YES YES YES you need t strip test your dog.

There have been 5 (this might be 4) dogs that have tested multiple times as a Carrier, but are AFFECTED. They were from untesteds or from breedings that could have produced an Affected.

The only way to be able to catch Fanconi as soon as the dog starts to spill is to test. The earilest I have heard of spilling is 2.5 years of age.

Also, pups can be tested as early as 2 weeks of age, I have done this and their was more than enough DNA for the tests to be ran.

• Can someone post the brand/type of test strlps needed to use for testing? thx

• I saw a recommendation for these on the BBR list. I bought something similar looking at the drug store a year or so ago but have not recently.

http://www.craigmedical.com/urine_diagnostics.htm

Edit: It was the 10 parameter strips.

• You do not need the full strips unless you are checking for other things. Just make sure you get the strips that test for glucose not ketones!

You can buy Bayer Diastix or Bayer Clinistix for strictly glucose urine testing.

Jennifer

Suggested Topics