Questions before I get my Basenji pup!

• She is a friend of Jons as we are all in the same basenji club

• @lakers13:

Kipawa I have decided to go ahead and get this puppy. I'm on my way to Houston now. If he does ever get ill then I believe I can give him better care than anyone, so I'm up for it! However I will pray he lives long and stays healthy.

Please let us know when you are back and for sure we want to see pictures of your new little man.

• Houston

Taylor..I just want to wish you and your new little guy best of luck..and you know we all want to see pictures of him…

• We do wish you best health with your new b..

• @tanza:

I think that they ones that I have heard of… came from questionable breedings or breeders...

But since we do not have the direct test yet... the recommendation is that you strip test Carriers monthly till we do....

And yes, as with any test... there are errors

I think that you should (or the owner) should go to Jon directly....

I hope that isn't saying I am one of those Pat!

The three dogs that tested as CArriers re-tested as Carriers.
    It was NOT the test.
    It was the fact that the dog's DNA is just basically funky and is showing as a carrier when in fact the dog is affected. I believe all 3 of these dogs were from Carrier x Carrier breedings.

Keeping this information in mind, any dog that tests as a Carrier from a Carrier x Carrier or Carrier x Affected breeding should be regularly strip-tested.

Perhaps when the direct test comes out those dogs DNA will not prevent the test from giving the correct results… but that is neither here nor there since we aren't at that point yet.

And for the OP... I'd be happy to share stories that I have written based on my just a pet puppy owner's and their first-hand experiences with their fanconi pet puppy
    Whether you show or dog or not have absolutely NO BEARING on whether or not the dog should be healthy.

Best of luck to you.. and as many have said... do the test. $65 is a drop in the bucket compared to future vet bills.

• Kathy, in no way was I referring to you? I don't even know the dog that is being mentioned that tested Carrier and now has Fanconi…

And, yes can be "funky" DNA.... all I was saying is that I would explore all the possibles...

• @khanis:

I hope that isn't saying I am one of those Pat!

The three dogs that tested as CArriers re-tested as Carriers.
    It was NOT the test.
    It was the fact that the dog's DNA is just basically funky and is showing as a carrier when in fact the dog is affected. I believe all 3 of these dogs were from Carrier x Carrier breedings.

Keeping this information in mind, any dog that tests as a Carrier from a Carrier x Carrier or Carrier x Affected breeding should be regularly strip-tested.

Perhaps when the direct test comes out those dogs DNA will not prevent the test from giving the correct results… but that is neither here nor there since we aren't at that point yet.

And for the OP... I'd be happy to share stories that I have written based on my just a pet puppy owner's and their first-hand experiences with their fanconi pet puppy
    Whether you show or dog or not have absolutely NO BEARING on whether or not the dog should be healthy.

Best of luck to you.. and as many have said... do the test. $65 is a drop in the bucket compared to future vet bills.

I thought you should never breed carrier to carrier, or even worse affected, i thought you should only breed carrier to clear..? Did I misunderstand?

• The test has only been in existence for 4 yrs, before that, none of us knew whether our dogs were carriers or not.

• And if you breed first, don't test or test later… well, you get the picture. Just because someone says you should not do "something"... doesn't mean that some people don't do it....

And as noted the test has only been available since July of 2007, so not even quite 4yrs.

• Lakers13: Good luck to you and your new puppy - do post pictures as soon as you are able, we love puppy pictures. I understand where your heart is very well, as I am someone whose little B, Shaye, was gotten from questionable sources before we knew better. Shortly after bringing my little girl home, I joined this forum, and have gotten lots and lots of wonderful advice and answers to questions I have had. In the two-plus years I have now had Shaye, I feel lucky to have found the forum. The first thing they taught me was about Fanconi disease. I ordered the test and had her tested immediately - thank God, she is clear. The $65 spent will give you great peace of mind, which, when raising a basenji, is a precious thing indeed. My girl is healthy, strong and a typical basenji, and we have felt welcome here, regardless of her background. Love your puppy, ask us bunches of questions, and be sure to pay lots of attention to what is said on the forum. But be aware that your vet, who should be willing to do the research to become an expert on basenjis, will be your best indicator of how your dog is doing.

• A very good post, Shaye's Mom. I hope you're still with us Lakers13.

• Hello everyone, I got back from Texas yesterday but haven't had a chance to get on the computer since I've been playing with Benji 24/7! He is the best puppy I have ever owned! He is so good and funny. He hasn't used the bathroom in the house yet! Everytime I take him outisde he goes on command. He loves to play and sleep ALOT. I put him in his pen for the first time last night and put him to sleep before I snuck out and then I woke up around 1 am to him crying terribly. I felt so sorry for him but didn't respond and he stopped shortly and slept til around 6 am. He didnt use the bathhroom all night, but did first thing when I took him out. He's been perfect, he even found a water leak in our garage that he heard running through the walls! I will post pics soon. I'm not very tech savvy, ha.

• Congrats, looking forward to seeing photos. I'm driving to KY Friday to pick up our girl, so excited to be getting another one. I don't have your willpower, she will be in our bed with the other 4 dogs from the first day. We are staying in a hotel near her breeder Friday night so she can get used to our two basenji boys before taking her home to be overwhelmed by the whippet girls. The 7 hr drive will be stressfull enough. Where are you in Arkansas? We will be in Rogers, AR on the 19th and 20th of March coursing our 4 dogs.

• Good to hear from you Lakers13 - Benji sounds a very good boy - don't be too complacent though - he might be working out his strategies!!

• Houston

Taylor..so happy to hear that everything is going great..can't wait to see pictures of that little rascal..I am also very glad you stuck around..:):D

• Photos???!!!!

• I live in Conway. And I will try and get on the photos asap

• Lakers13 - Benji sounds wonderful, and of course we anxiously await pictures. 🙂 Kipawa sleeps in/on the bed with us, but if you want to have Benji sleep in his crate, you did the right thing by not giving in to the whining.

Kipawa was a wonderdog the first week we had him. He heeled perfectly and did nothing wrong. As he gained more confidence in our home, the 'basenjiness' became more evident, so as Patty said, be prepared. After all, they are babies in a bright, exciting world and there is so much trouble to get into. But as so many have said, they look so darn cute when they nosh a pillow or pull the stuffing out of a bedspread! 🙂

• I will only add that if you want your B to sleep in a crate (mine do at least for now), as puppies when I heard them whinning, I did get up and take them out… Unless you do, then you really don't know if they do have to potty. I honestly do not believe (unless by accident) that they can hold it all night (8 to 10 hours).... So I would take them out, but then immediately return them to the crate. Then if they continued to complain, I would ignore them. Of course that said, the crates are in the bedroom so I pretty much know when there is a problem.

• I didn't have him in a crate. I had him in a portable pen in another room to sleep, but he has been perfect on pottying outside so I let him sleep with me last night and he slept all night and then pottied right when I took him out this morning!

Suggested Topics