Separation Anxiety and Re-Crate Training

• I Have to say from reading all this , that guess I have been really lucky so far. My experience has been very different. Thought Basenjis were fine with confinement because I have never had a problem with Ayo and the crate, or being alone. He is alone in one of my apartments bedrooms for 4 hours in the morning, and about 3 and 1/2 hours in the afternoon, with his crate in the from opened and his marrow bones and toys and water. He is locked in his crate for 4 hours in the morning three times a week , when I have a lady that comes to clean. He is also crated when I take him with me to friends and family for a couple of hours depending!
    I was trying to see if there was something that I do or have done that could be useful to you, but I think maybe I'm just lucky. I do know that At the beginning I made it a point not to fuss about leaving or when I got home. I found that whenever I got anxious , he would get anxious. And also never take him out when he was complaining , only when he calmed down. I think it has a lot to do with being calm..

• I also have never had my own pets have separation or crate anxiety. It is usually the way they are raised. They got this pup at a year old, already with issues. Hopefully they can retrain her.

• Lovinglola, thanks for the update. I have wondered how you and your girl were doing. I hope the behaviorist can offer some help. I know your frustration and feel for you and your girl, we'll keep our fingers crossed you find her comfort zone whatever it may be.
    Best of Luck and please let us know what happens and what ends up working for her.
    Therese

• We had a trainer over yesterday to help us work through this separation anxiety. It was a good visit, reassuring and informative. The bottom line: there's no magic cure. Helping Lola overcome her anxiety will take time and patience.

Our plan is to essentially desensitize her to the cues that we are leaving and gradually get her comfortable with being left alone. This means that in the meantime we cannot leave her alone, because each time she goes into panic mode that causes us to go backwards in progress. So, we're working on finding a place where she can be happy and calm while we're away. That's the difficult first step, but we have some ideas and leads. Hopefully one will pan out.

We are also taking her in to the vet to get a prescription for doggy prozac. Her case is bad enough - she cannot be left alone for any amount of time - that medication may be helpful. It was recommended that we give her about four weeks for the meds to build up and start having an effect before we start the training. Yes, this will be a long process.

We also decided that there's not much point to using the crate. That causes her to panic more and she breaks out anyway.

We discussed getting a second dog. Our trainer basically said it's a gamble, which is what I was thinking. A buddy could help with Lola's anxiety. On the other hand, a new dog could actually develop anxiety from being with Lola. That would not be a good development! So it seems the best idea is to get Lola to a better place before adding a new dog. That makes me a little sad, because I was getting excited about that possibility, but we have to accept the reality of our situation.

That's the basic summary. Obviously, we discussed it all in far more detail. We worked on some other things too, like loose-leash training. She did well and I can see us making good improvements there. Overall, I fell clearer about how to approach this problem. I'm happy to share more if anyone's curious.

• All very interesting - reember patience is essential because i'm sure there'll be times when you'll doubt. I suggest that you keep a day to day diary and so you can look back to see improvements however gradual. I can assure you that this will help you to persevere.

Yes, please, do keep us updated (I'm sure I don't speak just for myself).

• Yes please share as it progresses.

• I'm so glad to hear you have a promising path forward. You have proven your patience so far so I hope for all your sake a happy ending is in sight. Best of luck and please do keep posting on her progress.

• @Therese:

I'm so glad to hear you have a promising path forward. You have proven your patience so far so I hope for all your sake a happy ending is in sight. Best of luck and please do keep posting on her progress.

I agree with Therese…. sounds like you found a good resource with some great ideas to help... and agree that you have really put forth your patience to work through the problem. I will say that I do know it is not an easy fix, but in it for the long haul.... as they say... nothing in life is easy... and bless you for not giving up!!!

• Just wondered how things are going with your training? My Gracie has always had a bit of seperation anxiety. It is the real deal, not just "Don't need no stinking crate". Here is our situation:

Gracie is a rescue that we have had three years. Just amazing girl. We were a family of three, my Dad lived with us and was always home with her or he went with us on errands so Gracie could come. She started getting upset when one of us would get out of the car and whine and cry till we came back. If left alone she chewed and destroyed. She did ok in the crate but then got destructive with anything we put in with her. She would not eat the treat or chew what we put in for her.

Gracie and Grandpa were really close. He gave into her every whim. My Dad passed on December 4th. Gracie was with him as were all of us when he passed. She had very sad time but I believe she knew as all animals do when life ends.

So now, to the situation. We live at the coast in the country, woods to be exact. I have a part time job and husband is gone 4 days a week. Which means Gracie must be alone for periods of time. We have a huge wire crate. Yes you guessed it. She met us at the door twice. Only after destroying her bed, towels etc in the crate and chewing our rubber boot tops at the door. So far she has not hurt herself other than sore feet that I can tell. I do not have the option of a neighbor coming in or a dog sitter. Too far out. What we really need to do is help her learn that we will come back and she can be calm while we are gone. I just don't know the first step, or second for that matter. For the love of the b thanks for listening.

• This is an old thread, but we'd love to hear updates. Still very fitting with our on-going issues with Mowgli's separation / confinement anxiety. Lola? Mldawson?

Suggested Topics