• Well we got Kayla yesterday (she is 7 weeks 4 days) and besides the initial fussing which I thought would die down things had been going pretty well. Well as today went on she whined more and more. She just doesn't stop unless she is sleeping. When I put her in crate she screams bloody murder. We live in an apartment complex and screaming all the time wont cut it. I punked out and let her sleep with us last night. I bought her a wire crate but i also have multiple vari kennels I can try if anyone would think that would be better. I knew she wouldn't be silent I just worry that this will never end. I am scared and in tears already. Please help!

• Ut-oah..you gave in and let her sleep with you.
    Now little Kayla knows that is what she has to do to get you to give in. 😉
    When we brought out puppy home a few weeks ago I put a wire crate next to me in the bedroom. That way he knew that I was close. Get some really strong earplugs and you should be fine in a few weeks. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

• <<get some="" really="" strong="" earplugs="" and="" you="" should="" be="" fine="" in="" a="" few="" weeks="">>

She'd better give some earplugs to the neighbors too! I say, let her sleep with you. There really is no harm.

7 weeks is really young to leave mom! Of course she doesn't want to be alone…she was used to being with all her little sibs and mom!</get>

• there is another thread about crate training, which kathy has just made some good points on.
    after a couple of sleepless nights i punked out too. it turned out to be a great idea, with a basenji in his bed my 3 yr old quite coming in my bed in the wee hours of the morning. besides, they make great feet warmers. fender does spend some hours of the day in his crate and he only protests when i come in and heaven forbid do something else before i let him out.
    quit stressing and enjoy your baby! it will get better, however you handle it.

• Honestly, I know what you are going through..I thought the neighbors were going to call the police on us because our puppy just wouldn't stop!
    This is what worked for us…Really make her tired right before bed. Play toug-o-war or even throw a sock around to get her interested. This takes about 30 to 45 minutes and she will pass out like a rock 🙂
    Another suggestion. Put some rice in a sock. Make sure you use about 2 or 3 socks so she will not shread it up. Tie it up really good and stick it in the microwave for just a few mintues. The rice will warm up and then stick it under her pad in the crate. It will keep her warm.
    Target has baby fleese blankets for under 5 bucks. Pick up about 7 or 8. This will help you out when you can't run to the washer right away.
    I ended up taking our puppy outside every hour on the hour during the night in the beginning. Lucky this will not last too long. There little blatters become stronger in just a few short weeks.
    I know it is tough but you just have to stick it out. I wanted to go mad. With working a full time job and law school classes in the evening till 10 p.m. I thought I was going to loose my mind. It does get better in time though.

If you decide to let your puppy sleep with you than understand it will be for life and they do love to take over the bed 😉

I wish you the best of luck...like i said...industrial ear plugs will help out 🙂
    ~Vanessa

• Thanks for the suggestions. Last night we worked on kennel time, we had a bit of a messy accident. We did let her sleep with us, and it is a amazing how much room a tiny puppy can take up. She is in her kennel right now (I am using the vari one she came in she seems to like it more then the wire one), she has just cried herself to sleep. So I suppose this is progress. I also got her a treat stick which she has learned to use, I am hoping that in her kennel with give her something to do.
    Thanks for the suggestions. Last night we worked on kennel time, we had a bit of a messy accident. We did let her sleep with us, and it is a amazing how much room a tiny puppy can take up. She is in her kennel right now (I am using the vari one she came in she seems to like it more then the wire one), she has just cried herself to sleep. So I suppose this is progress. I also got her a treat stick which she has learned to use, I am hoping that in her kennel with give her something to do.

BTW Vanessa what law school do you attend? My husband is in his 3L year at George Washington University. I cant wait until he is finished in the fall.

Anyway Thanks again all for the suggestions so far.

• When I got Abby she was about 12 weeks or so and I actually slept in another room during potty training and she slept in the bed with me. We did it this way as to not disturb te hubby in the middle of the night when we had to get up, but there was a reason I did it that way and that is because when she got up and jumped off the bed I knew she had to go out. It didn't take long for her to get potty trained where she would sleep all night. We slept that way for a couple of months just to be sure but our other dog Missy sleeps with us and we did the same thing with her when we got her at five months. It's just works for us. 😉

Suggested Topics