• @Shaye's:

I agree that the problem of you having the terrible smell could be an anal gland issue.

I have said that it's not a "terrible" smell. Just a "dog/dirty" smell. But thanks for the input.

Anyways….

After our walk today I gave Gizmo a hose down in the shower (was muddy outside), but this time I did not dry him off as thoroughly. The result was Gizmo licking and cleaning himself for a good while!

I think Valen was on to something. If I keep it up, he will be "forced" to wash, and hopefully realize if he keeps himself clean I wont have to get him wet! 😃

• I just know my 2 b's don't have a smell..just the warm chip toe smell when it's hot.
    I look forward to seeing if the "sprinkling" works…if not, maybe there is some type of yeast growing and he should be checked? just my thoughts.

• I LOVE that warm chip toe smell. My cat Barney has that and I love sniffing his toes… that and burnt grass.

• OH, I love the chip smell as well…the b's are under the covers with me and Shasta puts her feet in my face and its just a nice smell...At least to me. Course, the feet in the face at 2 am isn't so great...but what are you going to do!!

• Better the feet than the bottom at 2am!!

• Oh, heavens yes…and don't get me started on the anal glan smell..icky!

• Perhaps I missed it, but did you ever give Giz a bath, shampoo and all. Maybe I misunderstood your posts, but a towel wipe or hose off isnt what I consider a bath. Not to offend but even the occasional tongue bath leaves a spitty smell after a while without a real soap bath.

• Snorky, I have not found that to be true with my 2 b's. They don't have any bad smell.
    I do bath them if they roll in something nasty, but with dirt from walks, the baby wipes work well.
    So, at least for my 2 b's, baths are only for them when they roll in dead fish on the beach. That happens maybe once a year.

• Thanks Sharron, I just thought it could also be a base line start. If he smells better after a bath, how long before the smell returns. If not much of a change, could be diet related.

Neither of my dogs smell (except for Frito feet:)) but I still bathe 2x's per year during major coat blows. Since fish oil introduction (per all forum member suggestions), even coat blow is non-stinky!! They seem to drop faster with all the stress related to water contact 😃 !!

The only other time I do a full bathe is after a skunk encounter or an overhead mosquito spray that I've not been notified about.

• I have found that diet can make a b smell different. I know it did when I switched to try a different food…but when I found the right one for my b's, the smell went away.
    Course, I have no proof, just what I saw in my house.
    Thanks so much for this post. Your correct, after the bath, it would be interesting to see how long it takes for the smell to come back.

Suggested Topics