Skip to content

Gizmo brutally attacked by German Shepard (warning! a little blood in the pictures).

Basenji Talk
  • oh my , what a sad sad situation, I hope Gizmo does not suffer from mentally problems after this attack! the physical wounds will heal as well as the bills….. but they can get a severe behaviour problem after such attacks....I have had it with my oldest basenji too, she was attacked 2 times by a german shepherd, after I finally got her back to normal on walks etc another shepherd attacked her.....

  • I guess things are different there. Here … a dog attack mine the dog would be secure or removed from the home of the irresponsible owners. And if where you walk is so dangerous, why not find somewhere safe or carry say, a baseball bat with you?

  • i protect my dog and myself with a firearm at all times….if a dog attacked me like that, i'd be in fear for my life and do what i have to do.

  • @DebraDownSouth:

    I guess things are different there. Here … a dog attack mine the dog would be secure or removed from the home of the irresponsible owners. And if where you walk is so dangerous, why not find somewhere safe or carry say, a baseball bat with you?

    Sorry to be so late in responding, just figured out you might be replying to my message and not the one about Gizmo.

    We have lived in this neighborhood for 22 years, and I have only seen dogs loose three times, twice with the owner right after them trying to get them back and the once when Belle was attacked. We have fairly strict leash laws and in the area of town I live in you just don't see dogs running loose. That was four years ago and I have not seen a loose dog anywhere around her since.

    Although I do remember growing up in Tennessee in the 50s-60s when everyone on our street had a dog and they all were running loose all the time, including our dalmatian who used to chase the garbage truck!

Suggested Topics

  • New pictures

    Basenji Talk
    4
    0 Votes
    4 Posts
    3k Views
    ?
    What a sweetie. Jolanda and Kaiser
  • Dog Attack

    Basenji Talk
    22
    0 Votes
    22 Posts
    20k Views
    BarklessdogB
    I am so glad that You, your husband and Cricket are OK. You're lucky the bull mastiff did not attack your husband, Im surprised he did not, actually. I have had this happen to me so many times to our dogs. Thankfully it always ends up bad for the other dog/dogs. They go into fight mode right away, which does not make them great at meeting other dogs, but after this happening so many times, I don't trust the other dogs either. If I just have one dog with me, I scoop him up in my arms and that has worked well so far.
  • Warning - This could offend!

    Basenji Talk
    7
    0 Votes
    7 Posts
    4k Views
    Shaye's MomS
    @MacPack: Sometimes the scar tissue may itch, and of course once they start licking, it goes on and on. I would try something like tea tree oil, not on any irritated skin, but near it. My Topper would not put his face anywhere near that scent, and it would keep him from gnawing his tail. ++ on the tea tree oil - I've used it when Gemma gnaws on her knees (who knows why, she has issues), and even on furniture when Shaye was in her teething stage - they really don't like it at all:(
  • Little sneak

    Basenji Talk
    10
    0 Votes
    10 Posts
    4k Views
    KonaK
    Kona has my husband wrapped around her little paw. He started letting her come lay in bed with us on the weekends because she would go back to sleep which meant we could sleep in. Then one night she never made it to her crate - DH says he just forgot ;) Now she has started sleeping with us about every other night because "she is too cute and peaceful looking to move." The funniest part is when we get up she just looks at us like what the heck are you people doing? come back to bed. and then cuddles underneath her blanket. She is too sweet!
  • Little rubberbands

    Basenji Talk
    4
    0 Votes
    4 Posts
    4k Views
    N
    I can always bring savannah and bodhi over to make it really interesting b500 x 4=:eek:
  • Little bums….

    Basenji Talk
    6
    0 Votes
    6 Posts
    3k Views
    MaxBooBooBearM
    hahaha. Cute photo. I had to put storage boxes under my bed because Tyler and Zoey could actually fit all the way under and would crawl around under there, and I was worried about them getting stuck–especially Tyler since he's bigger/taller than Zoey.