Recycling in the Bird world

• 🙂 We were walking around Preston Docks today and saw this water bird on her nest. What a sign of the times when she had used rubbish to build it.

• You are so right Shelley. Poor soul.

• I have a family of robins (well, american robins) that usually make a nest on my back poarch. So this year I put out pretty fabic scraps and alpaca fiber so they could make the nicest nest on the block. but mr. and mrs. robin refused to use any of the nest building materials i put out. 😕

• @agilebasenji:

I have a family of robins (well, american robins) that usually make a nest on my back poarch. So this year I put out pretty fabic scraps and alpaca fiber so they could make the nicest nest on the block. but mr. and mrs. robin refused to use any of the nest building materials i put out. 😕

Ungrateful Robins agile, are american Robins different to British ones then?
    When we had Max our big Dog, i used to leave his fur around after grooming and it went to form many a good nest 🙂

• OMG!!! Are those straws or syringes????

• There straws Belinda, there is a take away nearby, some folks find it too difficult to use a bin.
    Notice the slices of Bread, must be a snack for later 😃

• I had a friend who was in WW2 in the Soviet Red Army. He said they'd use Western style white bread as battle wound dressing. He said they thought it had too much air to be filling enough to eat, but it worked perfectly for bullet holes. (I know…a little off topic, but interesting anyway.)

Back on topic...perhaps she's using it as padding?

• Check out these pics of dead birds and what was inside them after decaying. I posted it on Facebook a couple of weeks ago. It's called "An ocean of plastic…in birds guts.

It's a slide show of 30 pics of different birds. You'll be shocked at what they ate.

http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/2GBboM/planetgreen.discovery.com/travel-outdoors/chris-jordan-midway-birds.html

• Oh dear, I can barely look at the picture of the nest, so I definitely can't look at the pic of what was inside dead birds. 😞 But I can watch any gory, bloody medical show on TV with great interest. I guess my heart is just too soft when it comes to innocent animals.

• @thunderbird8588:

Ungrateful Robins agile, are american Robins different to British ones then?
    When we had Max our big Dog, i used to leave his fur around after grooming and it went to form many a good nest 🙂

oh yes, very different. american robins are larger and the breast is a chestnut color. Plumage on the sexes are the same. Eggs are a beautiful bright blue.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Robin

and even though they are rather ungrateful, i enjoy seeing them around. last year they did not next on my back poarch, but the tree by the garage. the previous 2 years they were on the poarch. I just have to make sure the dogs are always leashed when the fledgelings start hopping out of the nest.

And, for comparison, the English robin:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Robin

Suggested Topics