• The dog is probably tied up for her own protection. Having lived in Japan, I am personally aware of how close the houses are to each other and to very busy streets that people zoom up and down on at mach-4 speeds. Yards are very small and you are lucky to have enough ground to have a lawn. I remember our "yard" was the flat roof with the waist-high wall around it. Our landlord had a tiny garden up there and it's where we kids would hang out.

I've heard Shiba Inu are very similar to Basenji in their lack of fear toward cars. Cultural differences are in play here too. This home looks like it's in the city. If that's the case, she is a very lucky dog to have someone looking after her at all. I cannot pass judgment on this dog's situation because of all this. She is clean, healthy and obviously gets walks and attention. She is not fearful of her owner or of other people. She accepts affection easily and can be approached. She may be the dog who has a naturally submissive personality. While I would much prefer a fenced yard as opposed to a rope or chain, I cannot pass negative judgment in this case. I have lived in Japan. Life is different there.

I would like to thank Ms. Thunderbird for sharing this video. I'm sure she shared it without thinking it would spark a discussion on whether the dog may be abused or mistreated.

• It's good that it's sparked some discussion. Your right Belinda initialy i put it on because i enjoyed it so much, i thought the Dogs smile was beautiful even reaching her eyes. I never thought about her being scared, i noticed the shaking but thought it to be excitment. Now i'm not sure about it but hope he is just happy to see his owner.
    I had a Dalmation that smiled a lot, she did it to greet us but also did it when she was a bit nervous. She would pull her lips back and show her top teeth, sometimes she did it so much it made her sneeze πŸ˜ƒ It was quite funny sometimes when new visitors came and she smiled, they would instantly draw back their hands πŸ˜ƒ

• Spring, my 12 year old, smiles. Usually when I am giving her a Ttouch massage and cuddle. She does behave in a submissive way when she smiles (as much as a Basenji can be submissive). She does indeed flatten her ears but I can't say she behaves in the same way as the Shiba. She opens her mouth to smile displaying her teeth and doesn't turn up her mouth like that.

• @thunderbird8588:

It's good that it's sparked some discussion. Your right Belinda initialy i put it on because i enjoyed it so much, i thought the Dogs smile was beautiful even reaching her eyes. I never thought about her being scared, i noticed the shaking but thought it to be excitment. Now i'm not sure about it but hope he is just happy to see his owner.
    I had a Dalmation that smiled a lot, she did it to greet us but also did it when she was a bit nervous. She would pull her lips back and show her top teeth, sometimes she did it so much it made her sneeze πŸ˜ƒ It was quite funny sometimes when new visitors came and she smiled, they would instantly draw back their hands πŸ˜ƒ

Thunderbird8588,

Funny you should mention this… One of my closest friends has Belgian Sheps, and the first time I met my friends 'Georgie', she came over to me with her VERY typical Belgian smile, and I nearly cra**ed myself, thinking she was about to bite... I knew all about their smiles, BUT, I was just not ready for such a HUGE smile, all the teeth showing... We still laugh about this, and she still does it to me everytime I see her :D:D:D.

• @thunderbird8588:

It's good that it's sparked some discussion. Your right Belinda initialy i put it on because i enjoyed it so much, i thought the Dogs smile was beautiful even reaching her eyes. I never thought about her being scared, i noticed the shaking but thought it to be excitment. Now i'm not sure about it but hope he is just happy to see his owner.

Thank you for posting the video. Since it seems that I am the only one on here that has a Shiba and has had her for almost 11 years here is my take on the way the dog acted. First that is a smile for sure Spice does that all the time however Spices tail is always still curled over her back but with strangers there that could have made the dog drop the tail. Spice loves everyone and wags her tail all time but when she was younger she might have put her tail down if there were to many people around she did not know. Yes Belinda you are so right Shiba cannot be trusted loose any more than a Basenji. When we got Spice the lady first gave us a book to read that she had made called the Shiba from he__ __. After reading the book she said are you still sure you want the puppy?? I think the dog is fine and happy.

Rita Jean

• Here is a pic of my Dalmation Amy in her smiling mode. I know it looks fearsome but she was the friendliest of Dogs and couldn't understand why people snatched their hands away πŸ˜ƒ
    This is the only smile i captured as i had her in the days before digital photography and didnt take as many pics as nowerdays.
    Perhaps other members may have pics of their own Dogs smiling?

• That is so cute.

I didn't see threatening at all in that picture. Her eyes are soft, her nose is not wrinkled up, her commissures are neither pushed forward or pulled back, her ears are all the way back, but not pinned or airplaned, her jaw is relaxed, and she has her head tilted back slightly, displaying her throat.

She is doing everything she can to say, "see, I am nothing to be afraid of."

Have you ever read Stanly Coren's book "How to Speak Dog"? The first case he discusses is a breeder misreading this very grin in her setter, on page 4 and 5 ( paperback edition).

It is a really good book. I highly recommend it.

-Nicole

• Thanks Nicole, will look out for it.

• Sounds a very interesting book, I'll look for it on Amazon.

• The golden I used to have did similar things w/her ears/eyes when I approached w/a leash. It was a habit formed from years of me sliding a new collar on with the leash attached. She'd squint and pull her ears back in anticipation of the collar being slid over her head.

The smile? I never got that.

Suggested Topics